Thoughts on the new "ancient history" guide

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
water2wine

Re: Thoughts on the new "ancient history" guide

Post by water2wine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:13 am

Carrie wrote: As far as the science goes, we are still researching our options, so take this with a grain of salt (as it can always change) but... we will most likely be doing something I am surprised to be considering...
which is possibly using Apologia's newest Elementary book Zoology 3: "Land Animals of the Sixth Day" by Jeanie Fulbright. While my oldest son had used most of the Astronomy book when he was a third grader (and had mixed success with it), we have not used the rest of the Apologia books, as we were able to find books we felt were more living and could delve into more than one or two topics per year in this manner.

We are also currently planning to do the human body toward the last half of the guide using Galen's Gateway to Medicine along with John Hudson Tiner's Exploring the World of Medicine OR with his newest book (that will be released in April) Exploring the World of Biology. Our plan would be for the kiddos to read these texts independently (as the target range for our newest guide is ages 9-11 with extensions for older kiddos aged 12-13+).
Yeah! I love your potential science picks that I have looked over many times and think are great but that I am taking with a grain of salt :lol: while still jumping up and down because I know if they are replaced it will only be for something better. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

shougmom

Post by shougmom » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi! I'm getting excited about this new program for ancients... this year we are using DITHOR and I hadn't heard about HOD before August. We're using and enjoying MFW ECC this year and planning to do Ancients next year with my (then) 6th and 4th graders. I think HOD looks like a better fit for us than what I had been previously considering.

So... I'm a big "planner" ... and I'm wondering if there is a tentative, potential date as to when the guide will be available? I love looking forward to next year, and I'm having a hard time waiting. :lol: Even a rough estimate would be helpful, if that is possible.

Thanks, Linda

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Linda,

The guide will be available for pre-ordering by the end of March or mid- April. The resources used in the guide will be available for purchase at that time as well. The actual guide will ship no later than August 1st. If possible, we'll ship it earlier. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

HollyinNNV

Post by HollyinNNV » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:25 am

I have a quick question. Is this new ancient history study guide the year of study that comes after "Preparing?" I guess I am confused because I noticed that there is some ancient history included in "Preparing" so I wasn't sure if this was an addition to "Preparing" or something totally new.

Cunfuzzled,
Holly
Megan-14 yo dd: Advanced Composition, Literature of the Western Civ, Spielvogel West Civ, Chalkdust Geometry, Prentice Hall Biology, Harp & Piano
Kevin-9 yo ds: Bigger Hearts, Singapore/Math U See, IEW, Piano

stellar

Post by stellar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:59 am

Hi Holly,

someone please correct me if I am wrong. I believe Preparing is a sweeping overview of history and the next guide will start the 4 year cycle of studying history chronologically.

HTH,

Kari

shougmom

Post by shougmom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Yes, I believe Kari is right - the "ancients" will be a year focused on ancient history (Creation through the Fall of Rome, roughly).

Carrie, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question - that is exactly the information I was looking for. Can't wait! :D

8) Linda

stellar

Post by stellar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:35 pm

[quote="shougmom"]Yes, I believe Kari is right

Sorry, I never heard those words before and wanted to see them in print again :lol: :mrgreen:

Kari

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm

You ladies are SO good at answering one another's questions! Thanks so much for doing that! :D

You are right that the ancients guide (which is still being titled), will come after Preparing Hearts. It will begin the 4 year cycle and will do Creation through Christ.

I'm getting more excited about it as we write and test it. The things my kiddo is taking from the history spines makes me tingle! It just keeps getting better! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

HollyinNNV

Post by HollyinNNV » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I understand now.
Holly
Megan-14 yo dd: Advanced Composition, Literature of the Western Civ, Spielvogel West Civ, Chalkdust Geometry, Prentice Hall Biology, Harp & Piano
Kevin-9 yo ds: Bigger Hearts, Singapore/Math U See, IEW, Piano

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:49 am

Carrie wrote:The things my kiddo is taking from the history spines makes me tingle!
OK, This just builds the anticipation and excitement!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:06 am

HI!

I just found this thread and it is loaded with good information. Carrie, do you think you'll incorporate any work with Greek/Latin roots into this guide?

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 am

Florence,

I'm so sorry I missed this post. Once I filed it under FAQ, I didn't check it anymore. :oops:

We have looked at many latin and greek programs (and root type programs) and have finally decided not to include that area within our new ancient history guide. We do use "Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek" with our own kiddos, but after perusing many, many, many latin and greek programs, we have decided that while they are wonderful, they are often quite expensive and time-consuming.

So, we feel more comfortable leaving it up to each individual family as to what they desire to cover in this particular area. While the study of latin and or greek is a very CM and Classical goal, it is not necessarily one that every family will want or need to pursue. So, we are keeping the resources for this guide to those we consider necessary for all students doing a study of the ancient time period. :D

Blessings,
Carrie