The Reading Lesson w/cd or ABeka phonics

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SoaringEagle

The Reading Lesson w/cd or ABeka phonics

Post by SoaringEagle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am

Hello everyone,

I may be back here. For the past 3 weeks we've been doing MFW K but I am seeing that my dd doesn't have much interest in the curriculum at all and I think there's too much hands on stuff for my liking...I'm not that type of person at all even though I wish to be. LHFHG was my back up plan...not sure if this would work either but it looks like so much fun!!! I have the Singing Bible on right now and that made me think of HOD. So I'm trying to figure out what to do now.

My question is: is The Reading Lesson just as good as doing ABeka phonics? Not sure which one to chose and why...my dd loves the computer so doing the cd after working with the book may be more encouraging for her? I don't know...If you can help me out, that would be great. Thanks

Carly

Re: The Reading Lesson w/cd or ABeka phonics

Post by Carly » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 am

We used Abeka's Handbook for Reading with both our children and it
worked well for them. I highly recommend it!
Carly

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18 am

After looking at The Reading Lesson sample, my dd seemed to really like it so that's what we'll go with

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:23 pm

Welcome back! I hope you find a program that fits you and your daughter!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 pm

I answered you on the other thread I think. :D But I just wanted to say that I made that same switch and we were really happy with it. Same kind of thing for me I wanted something that worked for me and was easy. We have been really happy. And I am sure either phonics would be great. I have never seen Abeka's but I know their stuff is really good. You can go with either. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Julie,

Nice to "see you"! The ladies did a great job of answering your questions. Ask away if you have others! :D

Blessings,
Carrie