No Pre-planning

This folder contains threads that have been requested to be marked as FAQ threads. If you see a thread that you think should be in here, just shoot us an e-mail.
sniz-teach

No Pre-planning

Post by sniz-teach » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:09 pm

One thing I love about this curriculum is that it has all the subject laid out each school day, not by days of the week. So if we don't have school on a Monday, it doesn't throw us off. The spelling program that I've always used, for instance, was based on a five day week, with a test on Friday. If we had a holiday or short week, we were messed up because each page was labeled with a day. But since we want to stay on the same schedule as my son's school, we started on a Wednesday, just like he did. Therefore today we did Day 6. You might say that you planned your year in advance and have already divided everything up according to how many days you are planning to have school at home, but there are two reasons that doesn't work for me. The first is that a big benefit of homeschooling is the flexibility to move days around as needed throughout the year. I can decide to take a field trip on the spur of the moment if a special educational opportunity comes up there is an emergency and we can't have a regular school day. If that happens, I don't have to feel "behind". I just pick up on the next day when regular classes resume. The second is my personality. I love variety and spontaneity and flexibility (which is one reason I made a good flight attendant). I know those qualities need to be "tamed" when I'm teaching, so I am more disciplined than I would be if I weren't teaching school, but I am still not a regimented, super-organized person. Having all the subjects laid out with specific directions works for me because there is no planning involved. I used to spend my Sundays after church planning our week. I always dreaded giving up one weekend day for that. This is so much better.

Another thing that is awesome is the Godly character trait that corresponds to the verse.
I introduced Proverbs 11:2 today and focused on humility. The girls respond so well to it and love all the activities and questions that the author provides. But what I love is how deep the concept goes into their little hearts and minds. We discussed humility, along with several stories and examples, for a long time. They got up and started doing jumping jacks and repeating the verse on their own. Then there is the singing, which they LOVE. In fact, school is over and I can hear them upstairs playing together and singing the second verse of Holy, Holy, Holy to memorize it. I could go on and on, but this is already so long, so I'll stop now!
Andrea in IN
Wilson, 14 DS in public school
Birdgirl 11 DD, Bigger w/ ext.
McGizzer 9 DD, Bigger
www.misssnizhomeschool.blogspot.com

crlacey

Re: No Pre-planning

Post by crlacey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:12 pm

That's great that you're family is enjoying HOD! We too love it for the open and go, no planning, can do school 3 or 5 days a week. :D
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Matt'sMom

Post by Matt'sMom » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Isn't the Manual a blessing. I have taught for 10 years and it is the first time I really feel I know what to do every day :!:
Thank God for HOD.

Durea

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Amen! I would never make it if I had to plan it all out. When a program has you making tons of copies and gathering all these wacky supplies I am worn out before I even start the school year. I don't even look most of the time and it is great all the time. It was made for crazy moms like me. :-) I really God has His hands on HOD. It is such a blessing! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:15 pm

I need to have it all laid out for me too! I did not want to do weekend planning anymore either (and I am a planner at heart)! :D

All of that planning can wear a person down as the years wear on! It can actually prevent you from homeschooling! :wink:

I'm so glad that HOD is a blessing to each of you too!

Blessings,
Carrie