Do I need teacher manuals and test books for LHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

Do I need teacher manuals and test books for LHFHG?

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am

I have another question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
I've noticed that there are teacher manuals and/or test books for some of the supplemental books for LHFHG, like "Our Father's World", and some others. It's not stated in the catalog or on the HOD website that I need them, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
Briana

stellar

Re: Do I need teacher manuals and test books for LHFHG?

Post by stellar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:58 am

Hi Briana! You do not need the TM from the publishers of the books used in Little Hearts. All you need is the HOD guide to use them effectively.

Kari

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:59 am

As Kari said, definitely not. I bought the little hearts program from my local homeschool store and they had som of those TMs in the package, I never once used them...

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:43 am

As everyone mentioned before, you don't need anything else for the HOD program you are working on. It's all included in your manual.

Something I have decided to do for this year is to make a game based on the level we're using. It will work as review for us through the year, and I'll include math also with it. I am keeping a list of notes about each unit to make review questions and type onto some of those mailing labels. I'll adhere those to some colored index cards, and we'll get an old Trivial Pursuit board and play "Heart of Dakota Pursuit" or something along those lines. I'm including spelling words, math problems, vocabulary words we've looked up from our lessons, history facts, Scripture verses, grammar, books we've read, and science questions. I can't wait until I've got enough questions and we're organized enough to play. This is not necessary to do. It's just an idea that I had to review over our year and program. I have found retention to be great with HOD so far. I just want to add some extra fun to our school year, so I thought this would be a nice way to do it.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 am

Vicki, that sounds like a blast! My hubby loves to do games like that with the kids. I may borrow your idea.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

stellar

Post by stellar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 am

Great idea Vickie, thank you for sharing!!

I do not have the board but I am sure I can find it at a thrift shop and I may just hand write the cards to simplify.

:-) Thanks!!

Kari

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for all of the input!
Vicki, I love the game idea! Thanks for a great tip!

Briana

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:14 am

you can make a game board.... out of a file folder. I have seen several on different sites. Not sure we can post links here :oops: Then you can fold it up and put it away when you are done :)

I am doing LHTHG too.... what teachers manuals? Like for the books we are reading .... like "History for Little Pilgrims?"

I just do whatever LHTHG tell me. Didn't think about other TM. :wink:

blessings,
Teena mom to 1/2 doz. & a DIL
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi, Teena. Yes, there's a teacher manual for "History for Little Pilgrims",and "A Reason for Handwriting", and I'm not sure if there's others.
I'm glad to know that we don't need them, though!
I'll definitely have to look for the home-made game board instructions. That sounds great!

Thanks,
Briana