Bigger spelling question

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
Christy in Texas

Bigger spelling question

Post by Christy in Texas » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 am

My 9 year old places nicely with Bigger, so that's what we'll do in the fall. But as I was going thru last years work I noticed that he did 3rd grade spelling. So I'm wondering if the spelling words will be challenging enough for him. Does anyone have a list they would be willing to show me?

Thanks!
Christy, wife to Danny of 14 years, mom to
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

Allison TX

Re: Bigger spelling question

Post by Allison TX » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:54 am

Hi Christy! :) I'm so glad you are going with Bigger. We have been using it for the past few months and love it! :D
Here are a few words from list 2:
open
sled
when
these are from list 28:
brook
cookie
should
If the words are too easy, you would choose the dictation passages instead.
Hope this helps! :)

Allison

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:32 am

I would agree with Allison, I have been pre testing my kid with the words and she only misses 1 or 2 so then we do dictation instead. Its been really useful as she always forgets the punctuation.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 am

I am doing bigger with my son and we do a pre-test on the spelling words. If he gets them right we do dictation instead.

I originally thought the words were a little "behind" what our public school is teaching, however I was surprised how many of the words that I thought he knew, but he gets them wrong. So I'm glad we're doing them.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm

joyfulheart wrote:I am doing bigger with my son and we do a pre-test on the spelling words. If he gets them right we do dictation instead.

I originally thought the words were a little "behind" what our public school is teaching, however I was surprised how many of the words that I thought he knew, but he gets them wrong. So I'm glad we're doing them.
That's what I found, too! I looked at the lists and thought, "yikes! those are easy!" yeah, they are-for ME! :oops: They seem to be about right for my 9 yr old and a little too hard for my 8 year old (who, admittedly, is just learning to read)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

stellar

If you find they are too easy you can easily substitute

Post by stellar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am

any spelling words or program of your choice.

Kari

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 am

We did the dictation, and I think it took my ds's spelling to the next level of difficulty. If the spelling list is too easy, the dictation is an incredibly useful tool for taking spelling up a notch because it teaches good spelling within the context of sentences, and eventually paragraphs.

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 pm

I won't be using the lists in Bigger. Everytime I start up she says I know this word. Then I tell her to spell it anyways. I had been just doing my own thing with the words she misses in her journal.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Ladies,

I just wanted to mention that there are two levels of spelling included in "Bigger...". The younger level is the spelling lists included in the guide and plans. The older level is the dictation passages included in "Bigger...". So, if your child is beyond the spelling lists in "Bigger..", it is intended that they will do the dictation passages instead. I wanted to make sure you understand this, so that you realize there is no need to use another spelling program or make up your own word lists. We completely cover all needed spelling words within studied dictation. This will continue all the way through grade 8. :D

You'll also find that studied dictation is much harder than learning lists of spelling words. It take much more concentrated focus and fixing of the passage in the child's mind to reproduce sentences including the spelling words, all capitalization, and punctuation, rather than just writing words in list or in a fill-in-the-blank format. It also helps kiddos fix the correct spelling in their mind, rather than trying to find mistakes in an incorrectly written passage, as so many spelling programs do! I invite you try studied dictation, and see the results over time! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie