Question about Preparing hearts and CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Momoffab4

Question about Preparing hearts and CTC

Post by Momoffab4 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Hello there,
So I am new to HOD and I have a 4th grader and 6th grader. I was going to use CTC this year for both but then saw that Preparing Maybe more appropriate for 4th. My 4th grader was in public school and my 6th has been homeschooled and is more straddling 5/6 each subject is differ for her. What would you suggest.
Thank you!

StephanieU

Re: Question about Preparing hearts and CTC

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Have you looked at the placement chart for each child?
https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

manyblessings

Post by manyblessings » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Preparing does offer an extension package which makes it appropriate for 5th to 6th grade. This is a package of books that the older student will read independently and do independent assignments for, in addition to doing almost all of the same work the younger student does. This extension package is done in place of the self-study package for younger students (your 4th grader would do the regular self-study package but not the extension books). In addition, you will purchase language arts and math individually to meet the level of each child. In this way, you can combine both children in Preparing. However, if you feel their abilities or personalities are too far apart for combining, choose the two guides that seem to fit each individual child according to the placement chart.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Momoffab4 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm
Hello there,
So I am new to HOD and I have a 4th grader and 6th grader. I was going to use CTC this year for both but then saw that Preparing Maybe more appropriate for 4th. My 4th grader was in public school and my 6th has been homeschooled and is more straddling 5/6 each subject is differ for her. What would you suggest.
Thank you!
Hi! Have you had a chance to look at the placement chart? In general, when combining in HOD it is best to choose the guide the youngest places best in and extend for the older. The more inspirational subjects of Preparing Hearts for His Glory (PHFHG) are geared toward ages 8-10 year-olds. Inspirational subjects (i.e. history, music, Bible, art, timeline, geography, science, poetry, devotionals, etc.) have a wider age range.

The more disciplinary subjects (i.e. math, grammar, spelling/dictation, reading, etc.) need to be fine-tuned and more of an exact placement for students. Each HOD guide includes multiple levels of disciplinary subjects for this reason.

Both PHFHG and Creation to Christ (CTC) also have the added benefit of extension packages, which further extends history for the older student in the combining scenario.

So, I'd love to hear what you found out from the placement chart! If you are still on the fence, checking out this post might help:
Comparing PHFHG to CTC in Skills:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/vie ... 658#p90658

Pop back and share your thoughts, and we'll be glad to help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Momoffab4

Post by Momoffab4 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:14 am

Hi there,

So I decided to go with CTC but after receiving it I’m thinking I may have jumped up to high..... so now I’m panicked.
I could order Preparing but the expense of both is so much... so I’m rethinking my plan. Any thoughts..?
The reason why I didn’t go with Preparing was because I was afraid the books we. It going to be meaty enough and this is our first year being a loving book curriculum.
I did look at options on TOG to bring it down. Notch or two with DK eyewitness books and this would help my 4th grader. Maybe a slower pace...
Its beautiful curriculum so my heart says “order Preparing and I with have CTC to do next but my mind and budget say... make it work lol.

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:31 am

If you can swing it, I’d get Preparing. I’ve found it perfect for 4th grade. I tried CTC when I was combing with my 4th and 6th grader and even though my 4th grader had grown up doing HOD, the jump in writing was just too much him.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Momoffab4

Post by Momoffab4 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Would you buy the whole thing science and all.He coming from public and is on the spectrum I want this to be a fun year but fruitful. If we are overwhelmed it may just shut down. I’ll have to do the numbers:)

Momoffab4

Post by Momoffab4 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:11 am

After looking again and prayer I decided to go ahead and purchase Preparing. I have wanted to try HOD for so long that I want to make sure I start in the right place for my kiddos. My 4th grader is a little more advanced and my 6th grader is more 5/6 defiantly a 5th grade math level. Thank you for all the input!

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am

Momoffab4 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:11 am
After looking again and prayer I decided to go ahead and purchase Preparing. I have wanted to try HOD for so long that I want to make sure I start in the right place for my kiddos. My 4th grader is a little more advanced and my 6th grader is more 5/6 defiantly a 5th grade math level. Thank you for all the input!
I don't think you will regret that decision. :D We didn't see what you did before we started and my older 2 struggled for 10 units before I made the decision to move them down. We had done 10 units of Preparing & CTC before switching to Bigger/Preparing, so finished 25 units before the end of the year, then finished the lower guides before moving up to finish the higher ones that second year. It worked, but I could have saved us 3 months of struggles by moving down earlier.

I hope you have a wonderful year!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics