A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Murph

A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

Post by Murph » Sun May 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I am new to HOD but have been homeschooling for 16 years. I have been looking for a detailed Scope and Sequence. I have seen https://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php, but it lists only history and science for the younger levels and adds in literature and Bible for the older levels. But I know more is covered than those four subjects. I have also searched "+scoped +sequence" on the board and it returned 29 pages, so this very well may have been answered but I don't have hours/days/patience to search through it all.

Is there a more detailed Scope and Sequence available?
In particular, is computer knowledge covered? Typing? Microsoft Office? Any other software?

Thank you, :)
Linda
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

Rice

Re: A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

Post by Rice » Mon May 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Murph wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:49 pm
In particular, is computer knowledge covered? Typing? Microsoft Office? Any other software?
I will let Julie or Carrie answer the scope and sequence question, but I can answer the one above:
Computer knowledge is not covered, beyond the prompts to use the computer for research (wikipedia) in Preparing and through the middle school guides. Using books is given an option if computer is not available or desired.

Typing is not covered in HOD. If you want typing to be an option for assignments, it is up to you to have them learn proper typing techniques before that.

Again, MS Office, Publisher, etc. are not covered in any way, though with any of their work, it would be possible to work those in, if you choose, by having them present work in a multi-media format.

I hope that helps.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello Linda!

Each Introduction of the guide explains the scope and sequence for the year. Heart of Dakota doesn't schedule a typing course, as many are available and easy to add. I had each of my sons do Typing Instructor one summer, and they are all 3 good typists! While the computer is used for reference, research, portions of courses, and looking up things as needed, there is not a separate program or class for solely teaching computers in Heart of Dakota. However, there has been enough 'computer' use through Heart of Dakota for our three sons/nephews who are now in college to be able to very successfully complete all online college courses for their three different majors (i.e. History major, Graphics and Web Design, and Business Finance) and receive 'A's in them. So, I still think it prepared them well! You can easily add a separate course for computer instruction, however, should you want to do so!

How many children do you have, and which guide(s) are you looking at using? When will you be starting? If you haven't ordered a catalog, you may want to do so here...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/catalog.php

If you need help with placement, you can check out the placement chart here...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie Grosz, M.Ed.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat May 23, 2020 1:33 pm

my3sons wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm
How many children do you have, and which guide(s) are you looking at using? When will you be starting? If you haven't ordered a catalog, you may want to do so here...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/catalog.php

If you need help with placement, you can check out the placement chart here...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply. I didn't see it until this morning. I must have my settings wrong.

I hope this isn't too much information. I tried to include only the most important details but with many kiddos, it adds up.

Background: We have 9 children. We have homeschooled from the beginning and have most of our children graduate high school at age 19. We like that it gives them an extra year to mature, save money for university, test better in hopes of gaining scholarships, etc. Our oldest is at WSU, the next two are taking dual credit courses at a community college. That leaves 6 at home still.

My son, Tim (8-yo), has autism. He is behind in every subject but is making progress. He can work for a maximum of 45 minutes at a time. 2-3 times per day. He is learning to read 1 & 2 vowel words and some words with multi-letter phonograms (ck, ea, ch, sh, or, ai, ay, etc.). He is just now starting to write on his own (copy work only). He loves science! I am planning on using Math-U-See with him this fall as he is understanding the concept of the value of numbers but is barely understanding the concept of adding. His success each day varies depending on how stimulated he has been the hours/days before. He has been seeing an occupational therapist at least once per week since before the age of 2 (with the covid stay home exception).

All my other children will continue with Teaching Textbooks for math.

Peter (12), & daughter Rubyanna (10) do everything together except math. They completed Rod & Staff English 3 this year and did a great job. I also do Logic of English a couple days per week with them. Their reading has improved greatly this year. Rubyanna is reading at her level, Peter is reading just below his level.

Thomas (14) & Daniel (12) just finished Rod & Staff English 6 this year. I also do Logic of English with them a couple days per week. They are grasping English pretty good.

Thomas got off to a slow start in reading & writing due to slight dyslexia that has remedied itself. So he is quite behind in writing but is quickly catching up in reading - he may even be at his reading level. I have three more school years with him at home then he goes to community college for dual credit.

Daniel is a thinker and loves to invent. He is reading at his level. His writing is normal but doesn't care to write. I have 5 more years at home with him.

My daughter, Ruth (16), has not done Rod & Staff English but I will have her join Thomas & Daniel for R&S English 7 this fall. She is reading above her level. Her writing needs some work. This will be her last school year at home before going to the community college for dual credit. She completed Apologia Biology and Apologia Health this year. (Their Health curriculum is brand new and beautiful! We loved it!)

Here's my wish list for Ruth:
*Pre-Calculus (Teaching Textbooks)
*US History second half (MTMM with extensions or US2?)
*World Religions & Culture (WG)
*Logic (WG)
*Integrated Physics & Chemistry (WG)
*Economics (US2)
*Finance (US2)
*Constitutional Literacy (US1)
*Bible (from either MTMM or WG)
*Lit - I don't have a strong preference
*Writing - I don't have a strong preference
*Foreign Language - she will do this at the community college

She will have 1 full credit in piano this coming year (intense as she will be taking lessons from a university prof).

If I had to pick a subject to drop, it would be Constitutional Literacy. If I still needed to lighten her load, I'd turn either her Bible or Literature (or both) into 1/2 credits instead of full 1 credits.

I have the HOD catalog and have looked at the placement chart in detail. I made a chart in Excel for 5 of my 6 kids who I'd like to place in HOD next year (see attached photo). For the life of me I cannot find a complete placement chart for all four high school HOD levels which is why Ruth (16) is not on the Excel chart.

After making this chart I bought just the basic MTMM package for Thomas (14). And after reviewing the Teacher's Guide, I think much of it is too challenging for him. I'm hesitant to purchase more packages until I figure this out a bit more.

Thank you,
Linda
Attachments
Murphy 5 of 6.jpg
Murphy 5 of 6.jpg (139.51 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
Last edited by Murph on Mon May 25, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon May 25, 2020 12:55 pm

my3sons wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm
Hello Linda!

Each Introduction of the guide explains the scope and sequence for the year.
Julie, Thank you for this information. I appreciate that the information for scope and sequence is available, however, this seems difficult for someone like me who is new to HOD to access and figure out. Are there any plans in the future to compile that information into an easily accessible scope & sequence, similar to: https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/pdfs ... -grade.pdf, https://www.sonlight.com/homeschool/sub ... -sequence/, and https://glnmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/p ... pac_ss.pdf?

Thank you,
Linda

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi Linda! Thanks for sharing about each of your children - that really helps! The chart was also very helpful! I work for Heart of Dakota, and one of my jobs (that I enjoy very much) is to help families with placement. I took notes on what you've shared, and I have a few thoughts about placement I'll share and then get your feedback!

Tim - If Tim can copy at least a sentence, I'm leaning toward Beyond Little Hearts for a placement. Everything else fits him well in Beyond!

Rubyanna and Peter - combined in Preparing Hearts for His Glory(PHFHG) or in Creation to Christ (CTC); if they do PHFHG though, we should add the Extensions for Peter. I'm not sure if it is then easier just to do CTC? I'd love to know what you think after checking out this info...
*Comparing PHFHG to CTC in Skills:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/vie ... 658#p90658
*Either way, R & S 4 for both, TT Math for both, Drawn into the Heart of Reading (DITHOR) 4/5 Student Books for Lit with choice of Book Packs that best fit their reading; possibly 4/5 Girl Set for Rubyanna and 5/6 Boy Interest for Peter?

Thomas and Daniel - combined in Revival to Revolution, add American Testimony DVD from the Extension Package for Thomas (if counting credit for high school for Thomas, this would count as USI History credit and 1/2 credit Bible). Thomas can join Ruth using World Geography guide's (WG) plans for Logic and R & S English 7. For Science, Thomas can either join Ruth and do WG Integrated Physics and Chemistry with or without lab, OR, he can join Daniel and do the Advanced Physical Science with Exploration Education's Advanced Option #2 (worth 1 high school credit in Physical Science). Daniel can do RevtoRev's Exploration Education's Standard Exploration Education independently. It is wonderful! If Thomas joins Daniel in RevtoRev, they would be together on everything 4 days a week, but a 5th day would be added for additional projects/content for Thomas for the Advanced EE version.
*Could slow down R & S English 7 for Daniel, as this is part of English credit in high school, but maybe it's just easier to teach it to him with Thomas and Ruth? TT math for all, DITHOR 6/7/8 Student Books for Lit with choice of Book Packs that best fit their reading; possibly 7/8 Boy Interest for both?

Ruth - MTMM Guide with Extensions for history (worth USII History 1 full credit) and MTMM for Bible (1/2 credit as is; or add additional Bible readings if you want a full credit for her) OR, Ruth could do WG's Bible Study Rooted and Grounded if she prefers, but it will be move involved (worth 1 full credit as is).

For Lit, Ruth could join Thomas and Daniel, using DITHOR 6/7/8 Student Book but using WG's Girl Set and/or Boy Set with books slotted into appropriate DITHOR genres; OR, for Lit Ruth could do WG's Lit as it is written. For composition part of English credit, Ruth can either do MTMM's Write with the Best Volume 2 (which is high school credit worthy) or WG's Essentials in Writing Grade 11 (also high school credit worthy). If she does DITHOR for lit, I'd be inclined to do Write with the Best from MTMM for comp, but if she does WG's Lit as written I'd be inclined to do WG's Essentials in Writing Grade 11. MTMM has DITHOR 3 x's a week, R & S either daily or half-speed, and WWTB 2 x's a week. Just nice to keep that balance so no one day is too heavy! Likewise, WG's Lit complements its Comp and Grammar. You could use the half-speed schedule for R & S English 7 for Thomas, Daniel, and Ruth - I'd probably do that if it were me, but Ruth will only make it through the first half then. Still, I think that's okay! (These combinations of lit, grammar, and comp would all be worth 1 full credit in English II for Ruth).

For science, Ruth could do WG's IPC, possibly with Thomas or on her own (1 full credit in Integrated Physics and Chemistry with or without lab). She would also do WG's Logic (1/2 credit elective) and WG's World Religions and Cultures (1/2 credit elective).

For math, TT (1 full credit) and Piano elective (1 full credit). I'd drop Constitutional Literacy in lieu of dong either Economics or Finance (each worth 1/2 credit). I'm thinking she's doing Foreign Language next year in community college, right? If she's doing foreign language this year, you might want to drop something - could be too full of a load.

This would equal a total of 7 credits, which I think is doable for dear Ruth! If she is able to start this summer on either Economics or Finance (which our sons loved both, she might be able to do both if you are really wanting her to and she is excited about that (but one of the two would be wonderful too)!

Okay, so I'd love to have you look this over and share your thoughts on any/all of it!!! You will know best, but those are just my thoughts thus far!!! Thanks for all the great info on your kiddos - that helped so much! I'll check back here to see your thought son all of this!

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Fri May 29, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Heart of Dakota is updating their website and catalog, but here is the Scope and Sequence posted now...
https://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

Also, here is an overview of high school credits...
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... erview.jpg

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 28, 2020 2:31 pm

my3sons wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm
I'd love to have you look this over and share your thoughts on any/all of it!
Julie,

Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it. It'll probably take me all weekend to digest this but I have already begun to study your suggestions. I am assembling a list of follow-up questions :) and look forward to nailing down the plans for my kiddos.

Linda

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm

my3sons wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 pm
This is really helpful. :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Murph wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:31 pm
my3sons wrote:
I'd love to have you look this over and share your thoughts on any/all of it!
Julie,

Thank you for all this information, I really appreciate it. It'll probably take me all weekend to digest this but I have already begun to study your suggestions. I am assembling a list of follow-up questions :) and look forward to nailing down the plans for my kiddos.

Linda
You are welcome - and that sounds good! I realized Ruth's credits total 7 instead of 6 1/2 (I edited to highlight pink the Logic 1/2 credit, which I forgot in the first post)! Hope you have a good weekend, Linda!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Murph wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm
my3sons wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:01 pm
This is really helpful. :)
Oh good! I made this chart for me and thought it might be helpful for you too!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 am

my3sons wrote:
Hi Julie,

I finally finished looking at everything. The scope and sequence you attached for high school was especially helpful.

I put each child on their own page in an Excel spreadsheet. Due to size restrictions, only the youngest three are attached (Tim, Rubyanna, & Peter) to this message and I'll put the older three on a follow-up message.

Here's my attempt at a Key:
*The colors refer to the years (orange is 2020-2021, light blue is 2021-2022, etc.). The same colors represent the same years for all the children. I lined up the school years the best I could with the corresponding Heart of Dakota programs. This will be easiest to understand if you begin with my youngest child, Tim, and work your way up to my oldest (Tim, Rubyanna, Peter, Daniel, Thomas, & Ruth).
*White cells are subjects that we will not do.
*Underlines are provided by others (not HOD)
*Bold means they will do that subject with a sibling

Of course, all this can be adjusted. :) The most unpredictable child is Tim because of his autism. His will need the most adjusting as the years go by.

Some questions/replies I have -
Tim:
1. Tim can copy simple sentences, but it take 5-10 minutes for each sentence. He needs to improve this but at the same time, I don't want his writing to slow down his other school work.

Peter & Rubyanna:
1. After reviewing your post comparing Preparing Hearts and Creation to Christ, I believe the best fit for them is Preparing Hearts.

Ruth:
1. In MTMM, I understand the HS extension is required to meet the 1 credit, but are the Basic Package and President Study required as well?
2. Would the literature books in World History be too meaty for DITHOR? (Specifically, Les Misérables and Animal Farm.)

Thank you for your help!

Linda
08 Tim
08 Tim
08 Tim screenshot.png (155.28 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
09 Rubyanna
09 Rubyanna
09 Rubyanna screenshot.png (131.51 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
10 Peter
10 Peter
10 Peter screenshot.png (142.69 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Last edited by Murph on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:01 am

my3sons wrote:
Julie, Here are my older three.
Linda
12 Dan
12 Dan
12 Daniel screenshot.png (106.54 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
14 Tom
14 Tom
14 Tom screenshot.png (85.48 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
16 Ruth
16 Ruth
16 Ruth screenshot.png (61.33 KiB) Viewed 4198 times

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Wow! Those Excel spreadsheets are amazing! I'm very impressed! I can see how the color-coding and spreadsheets help you visually plan out the upcoming years for your kiddos, and I think you have wonderful plans coming together here for each of your kiddos to get the most out of HOD with the years they have left and with what they each need. You really took each kiddo's needs carefully into consideration. Thanks so much for sharing your plans here!

In answer to your questions...

1. Tim can copy simple sentences, but it take 5-10 minutes for each sentence. He needs to improve this but at the same time, I don't want his writing to slow down his other school work.

I totally agree with your earlier comment about Tim being the one you may need to adjust things for more along the way. However, I also agree about your not wanting his writing to slow down his other school work. I like the placement and the pacing you have planned for Tim for these reasons.

Peter & Rubyanna:

1. After reviewing your post comparing Preparing Hearts and Creation to Christ, I believe the best fit for them is Preparing Hearts.

I am glad you had time to review that post, and I was hoping it would help you choose between these two guides. I'm also glad Peter and Rubyanna will get to enjoy Preparing Hearts (and you too for that matter)!

Ruth:
1. In MTMM, I understand the HS extension is required to meet the 1 credit, but are the Basic Package and President Study required as well?

This is kind of on a case by case basis. I'm thinking Ruth would do the Extensions and not the Basic Package books, based on her taking a lot of credits this year. You could decide if you want her to do the Presidents' study or not; it's a neat study, but not essential if her schedule's too full. I think Carrie's explanation of options for uses of the Basic and Extension Packages might help you make a decision about this too (this excerpt is taken from the message board and is also a post we will be doing for an upcoming blog article)...

The intention is for students to use both the Basic and Extension Packages if they are in the Extension range of a guide. Keep in mind that an older child should have a jump up in work from what is required of a younger sibling in the same guide. So, the added readings and the added follow-ups are needed to truly extend a guide. Keep in mind that Charlotte Mason required kiddos to narrate (either in oral or written form) on EVERY reading done each day. So, the guidelines we have suggested for follow-ups for the Extensions are still less than what her standard was narration-wise for just her regular students. We do add many other follow-ups with skills though to our guides that she did not include as part of her day, so the workload balances out and is more than enough the HOD way. :wink:

There are, however, exceptions to using both packages with an older student. :wink: If, for example, you have a older student who is a struggling or very slow reader, then you would choose either the Basic or the Extension Package to use so as not to overwhelm your student. Or, if you have a student who is a struggling writer, then you would downsize the follow-ups to the Extension Pack readings possibly by doing more oral narrations and less written. In that case, though, you would still need to be sure the child was doing all other written assignments required by the guide so as not to downsize too far. Or, if you had a child who was on the verge of needing the Extension Pack, then you could also weigh whether to include it or not and modify the amount of written narrations required as well. If finances are very tight, then you could choose one or the other of the packages. In the case of extreme financial duress, with an older child (who is not a struggling reader or writer), I would choose the Extension Package (in lieu of the Basic Package), simply to make sure the child is extending and getting enough. On the other hand, in financial duress for a struggling older reader, I would choose the Basic Package and either have the child try to read it himself/herself (at the RTR level on up), or have the parent read it to the child instead to relieve some of the reading burden (knowing that having the child read his own DITHR books, science, and then history would be more important).

Hopefully, this isn't confusing all of you... but there are exceptions to every case, and I wanted to share a few with you. Most families with kiddos in the Extension range do fine with both the Basic and Extension Package as intended (with the parent reading aloud the Basic and the child reading the Extensions).

Blessings,
Carrie

2. Would the literature books in World History be too meaty for DITHOR? (Specifically, Les Misérables and Animal Farm.)
If kiddos are using DITHOR for high school, we usually recommend only going as high as WG Lit Book choices to slot with them. I wonder if Ruth would enjoy a hybrid? DITHOR with the WG girl set, and just a few titles like the ones you mentioned Les Mis and Animal Farm with the WH Lit plans? You'll need the WH guide anyway, and Les Mis could be listened to on audio and Animal Farm is shorter. Then, instead of Ruth having to do so many DITHOR genres, she could just maybe do the WG girl set novels with a few WH novels/plans. The plans in WH for Lit are described in detail here...
https://heartofdakota.com/board3/viewto ... =6&t=15016

I hope this helps, Linda! So impressed with your planning for your family here! If you have further questions, ask away! If you need help placing an order, just give HOD a call. HOD also has payment plans at no interest - just thought I'd mention as you will be needing multiple guides and resources. Have a good evening, Linda!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Murph

Post by Murph » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 pm

my3sons wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:15 pm
Ruth:

This is kind of on a case by case basis. I'm thinking Ruth would do the Extensions and not the Basic Package books, based on her taking a lot of credits this year. You could decide if you want her to do the Presidents' study or not; it's a neat study, but not essential if her schedule's too full.
Julie,
I have received all the materials needed to implement what we discussed. Now that I am looking at the details, if I have Ruth do the extensions in MTMM, what incentives does she have to read those books? The teacher's guide has activities for the basic books but no activities for the extension books. How has this issue been solved by others?

Thank you,
Linda