Check-in: What guides are you using?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Check-in: What guides are you using?

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:14 pm

It's so nice to hear from all of you who are posting! :D It's great to hear that HOD has prepared your children well for college work. :D We have found the same to be true with our two oldest sons.

It's wonderful to see those of you who are returning to HOD too. We pray you will have a God-blessed year and will look forward to sharing the journey with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Norrfam0506

Post by Norrfam0506 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am

Thank you for the welcome back! Since posting, we’ve decided to move our 10 year old down to Preparing. I’m just worried about the length of work for her as we move forward. She currently does 4 hours of dance a week and does get worn out easily. I think moving her to Preparing will work really well for her and make school that much more enjoyable since it’s a little more at her level. So much more relaxed about it all even with 2 guides!
DD13: LHFHG, Beyond, CTC, MTMM
DD11: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

I think your daughter will really enjoy Preparing! Grandpa's Box is an absolute favorite here. :D If the workload seems too much in a guide and is wearing your child out, it is a good idea to take a look at the guide below it as a better possible fit. Finding the right fit can take a little time initially, but it is well worth it in the long haul!

Blessings,
Carrie

Norrfam0506

Post by Norrfam0506 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Yes! For sure! I think she’ll love the books. I have a tendency to push my youngest, but I’m trying to resist that urge!
DD13: LHFHG, Beyond, CTC, MTMM
DD11: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC

aecastleberry

Post by aecastleberry » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:35 am

Late to posting...but :lol:

My daughter (13) is on Unit 19 of MTMM and loving it!!

My son (11) who is severely dyslexic is back to working in Preparing with great success!!

My son (7) just started Bigger this month, and he's excited about all of his new books!!

Amber :D
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 pm

Amber,

It's good to "see" you! :D So glad that your kiddos are underway and doing well overall. We are at odd places in our guides too. :D Our third oldest son is a couple weeks away from finishing World History. Our youngest son is on week 23 of Rev2Rev. We just keep chugging forward and are actually really enjoying the stride the boys are in right now! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

turtlemama

Post by turtlemama » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 pm

15 yo (9th grade)-World Geography

10 yo (4th grade, with fine motor skills delay)-Beyond

7 yo (1st grade)-Little Hearts

3-1/2 yo (preschool)-Little Hands

We all do DITHOR together, and I even read picture books to the two youngest that are of each type during "Morning Basket". 😍

We've been busy during "production season" this past semester (my 15 year old was Aslan in our Drama Club's production of The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe) so we're crawling through the work, but I am looking forward to getting work done more methodically this next semester! 😁😁😁

Heather

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:07 pm

This is such fun to catch up with all of you! My how our children are growing, aren't they?!? Heather - it sounds like you are having a busy, yet productive year! I just was saying the other day that I miss having a little one in the house to teach the younger guides to alongside my middle school and high school teaching. I see you have both! Though it was busy, I used to love going from teaching high school to teaching my (then) little guy in the younger guides. The best of both worlds! Congrats to your 'Aslan' too! The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was one of my very favorite books (and series) back when I was a young gal. What fun to see your 15-year-old play Aslan!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spiderpetal

Post by spiderpetal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 pm

I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts!

My oldest is in his sophomore year at Oklahoma State doing a double major in computer and electrical engineering :? His all time favorite book was Count of Monte Cristo.

DS 18 is a senior and is studying and taking CLEP tests. He will start next fall at UCO doing graphic design. His favorite book was Prisoner of Zenda.

DS 16 is in WH. His favorite book so far is Ben Hur

DS 14 is in WG. His favorite book so far is Sundar Singh with Shane being a close second.

DS 11 is in RtR. He really enjoyed the Black Stallion Mystery and Mr. Pipes, but his favorite is Illustrated Book of Knights.

DD 9 is in Preparing. She is reading the girl read alouds from Bigger for her DITHOR books (per her request) and loved Baby Island.

DS 5 is in MFW K

DS 3 trying to keep up with all his brothers :wink:

Thanks for letting me share. Not many understand our labor of love like you all do!

Kristen

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm

spiderpetal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:29 pm
I have enjoyed reading everyone’s posts!

My oldest is in his sophomore year at Oklahoma State doing a double major in computer and electrical engineering :? His all time favorite book was Count of Monte Cristo...
Wyatt, my oldest son in his sophomore year of college, just reread The Count of Monte Cristo last month for fun! :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

spiderpetal

Post by spiderpetal » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 pm

my3sons wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Wyatt, my oldest son in his sophomore year of college, just reread The Count of Monte Cristo last month for fun! :D :D :D
That’s hilarious! My DS also read it for fun again over Christmas break :lol:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:15 pm

I loved reading your list of your kiddos' favorites! I loved the Count of Monte Cristo too. :D That was a book I just could not put down. It may be my favorite book of all time. The way it shows how revenge will take you further than you ever thought possible was such a good lesson. Even for one who was as badly treated as Edmond Dantes. Baby Island was a favorite from my childhood. I even read it aloud to my oldest two boys, and they loved it too... just a great book for that age group. :D The Prisoner of Zenda is a book that just goes like a racehorse. It is so witty too. The Black Stallion was a terrific mystery and adventure all rolled in one. Shane was such a well-written western. I could just picture that main character so easily. :D Sundar Singh was so exciting that it almost felt like it couldn't have all happened to one man. God was with Sundar in such amazing ways. Ben Hur was such a good book too. I made so many connections with that one and was amazed at how it came full circle with the story of Jesus. It gave me chills!

I love reading about kids' favorites! It does my heart good to think they are reading and enjoying good books.

You can be so proud of the kids you have graduated, and the way they are pursuing life after high school. :D

Thanks for sharing!
Carrie

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

We are using:

DS 1 (senior and almost 18!) is in US Hist 2, Unit 19
DS 2 (freshman, almost 15) is in World Geography, Unit 18
DD (6th grade, 12 yo) is in RTR, Unit 30
DS 3 (3rd grade, 9yo) is in Bigger, Unit 29

We are nearing graduation with our oldest and I can't believe it! I can confidently say that using HOD through the years (since Bigger in 2nd grade) has prepared him well for college and his future! He took a dual enrollment Freshman Composition 1 class last semester online through Toccoa Falls College and got a 98 in the class! Thanks to HOD he was prepared and surprised me with how well he did on his papers!
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Jessica,

How fun that you have one graduating this year! I am so happy to hear that your oldest son did well in his composition class. All those years of writing have paid off for him! :D You can be so proud of him.

It's exciting to see how your other kiddos are progressing as well. You are a busy mama! :D

Thanks so much for taking time to share.

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi Carrie & Julie & all! :D
I’m a long time HOD user who hasn’t been on the board in a very long time. I have 5 kids currently using HOD and 1 in college.

Allison (15) is in World Geography.
Garret (13) is in Res to Ref
Asa & Quinn (8&7) are in Bigger
Halle (4) is in LHTH
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH