Quick Oral Review for Singapore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Quick Oral Review for Singapore

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:03 pm

My son, Emmett, is in RevtoRev this year. He does well with reading, writing, narrations, poetry, notebooking, projects, experiments - I am so happy with his progress this year as I see him maturing!

However, Emmett's hardest subjects remain English and Math. One thing that really has helped him in English is first studying the oral review questions and answers. This kind of 'review' has seemed to help him better retain what he has learned and apply it to his lessons.

Charlotte Mason also advocated reminding oneself what was read yesterday, before continuing on with reading a living book. In fact, in HOD's How to Narrate: Student's List, this is the first reminder: If you are in the middle of a book, briefly remind yourself what was read last time. This has also been very effective with Emmett and his oral narration progress.

So, this past week of math lessons, I decided to give a quick oral recap of our last Singapore lesson. We are working on circumference and area of circles in 6B. So, I began by asking if he remembered how to find the circumference of a circle. He didn't. So, I just said, "Remember we first find the diameter of the circle or the line that goes all the way across. Then, we multiply the diameter times pi. Do you remember what pi is?" He thought it was close to 3. I said, "Yes! Pi is 3.14. So, to find the circumference or distance around a circle, we multiply the diameter by pi or 3.14."

We also learned pi was the same as 22/7. A shortcut is to check if 7 can go into the diameter evenly. If it can, it is much quicker to multiply the diameter by 22/7 than by 3.14. Over the next few days, at the start of our math lessons, I asked him a few quick questions again. This time, he happily answered that to find the circumference of a circle, which was just the outside not the inside of the circle, he would just take pi times the diameter. He'd try 22/7 first if he could use it, but if not, he'd have to multiply it by 3.14.

WOW! I was so encouraged by this! We have now gone on to find the area of a circle is pi times radius times radius. He needed help remembering the difference between radius and diameter, but now he has down both formulas for a circle's circumference and area! If he can't remember things when I ask him, I just say them briefly and clearly as I jot them on a markerboard or point to the formula/picture from a past lesson. I don't do this in an "I can't believe you don't remember this" way. Rather, just as a super quick review to help him. When we start a new section, I'm not planning on reviewing the previous section anymore.

Just thought I'd share this less-than-a-minute tip that has helped so much in math for Emmett!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Quick Oral Review for Singapore

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Julie,

This is a great tip. It is so helpful to think about how we can quickly aid our kiddos without it taking a big chunk out of our days. The quick review of recent concepts is a great idea! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Re: Quick Oral Review for Singapore

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Thanks, Carrie! When Emmett knows the formula that needs to be used from memory, I find he can focus on the nuances of solving different problems more readily. I am encouraged I continue to see growth with Emmett's ability to remember math formulas with this quick oral review!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie