What are your kids enjoying this year in HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

What are your kids enjoying this year in HOD?

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Hello ladies!

As we are into the new year, and we are traveling through Rev2Rev and High School: World History for the third time at our house, I was just thinking how much fun it is to see what the "favorites" will be from the guides. So far, in Rev2Rev Beau has really enjoyed George Washington's World. I was surprised to find he really enjoys the Music Appreciation and composers' study. He is a kid who loves audios, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised! He also really loves the Storytime and his DITHR books and enjoys anticipating which books will be next! Beau says he absolutely loves his science kit this year. All of our boys have loved the Exploration Education science. It truly is one-of-a-kind. He also says he looks forward to his history projects! :D

Grey says he absolutely loves the literature part of World History. His favorites have been Pearl Maiden, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Les Miserables. He says he has also really loved the Living Library this year. When asked, he named Biology as one of his favorites from the guide too. He noted that Pilgrim's Progress and the DVD God & the History of Art have been year-long favorites as well. I am always surprised that my boys enjoy the ACE Biology as much as they do. All three of my oldest boys have said they enjoyed it. The art DVD is a surprise to me for Grey. You just never know sometimes what will be a new area of interest! :D

So, how about you? What are the favorites and surprises in the HOD guides at your house? 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

StephanieU

Re: What are your kids enjoying this year in HOD?

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:56 pm

My oldest in Rev2Rev said she loves everything but grammar and Bible study. I think for her, Bible study is a lot of review, so it isn't as interesting for her.

I asked my son what he loved about Preparing, since he is only on Unit 1 of CtC. He loved the history projects!

My third is a social butterfly, so nothing in Bigger is her favorite part of "school." But she is normally quick to get it done so she can play with the youngest or do crafts. She does love helping the older two with any kitchen based history projects or scorecard experiments though!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Norrfam0506

Post by Norrfam0506 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 pm

We have just barely started, but my oldest has mentioned she really enjoyed the extension books!
DD13: LHFHG, Beyond, CTC, MTMM
DD11: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm

From Revival to Revolution's Storytime, we especially loved Amos Fortune, The Reb and the Redcoats, and Seaman! I am actually reading these aloud this time (I didn't when either of my older sons did RevtoRev). I am finding I am in a new stage of life, with my oldest son in college and my middle son in his junior year of high school. I have time to read aloud Storytime to my youngest son, and though he is in 7th grade, he loves it! Precious times. Emmett also is loving Four Inventors, and really all of the science books he is reading. He has an entrepreneurial spirit, and this year's science is a favorite of his. I also just love hearing him read his written narrations. He has learned to write in straight lines in his notebook - praise God! He also just is developing his own writing style, and it is neat to hear.

From USI, Riley especially enjoys America: The Last Best Hope. He really likes Bennett's writing style. Riley also truly loves the hymn study - he is somewhat of an 'old soul' that way. Our church has a mix of old and new music, but it is when the old hymns are played that Riley really loves it best. Riley found Ben Franklin's Almanac amusing. Ben's quirky sense of humor and dry wit were entertaining to Riley, probably because he also has a dry wit. The double journal entry for living library is a favorite assignment of Riley's, and I enjoy the great quotes he picks and his insightful take on them. He likes adding to his Book of Centuries. He is creative and his BOC is full of beautiful coloring and careful penmanship. He likes both Government and Constitution Literacy - they are Christian and appeal to his sense of right and wrong. From Lit, he loved The Prince and the Pauper, as well as Rip Van Winkle. He is also enjoying Algebra II this year! A miracle! We are using mathhelp.com, and it is a hit!

Wyatt is in his sophomore year of college, but I'll share a bit about his favorites too. His favorite course so far has definitely been Comparative Worldviews! I was thankful for all that we covered in HOD with Biblical Worldview. He also loved his Dave Ramsey Finance course (and he had great training for it thanks to HOD :D ). Both of us have just been so thankful for all the courses he has been able to CLEP/DSST out of. He uses Instantcert and the REA practice tests to study for these, but we both credit HOD's solid education first and foremost for his ability to pass these tests. Some of the tests he has passed so far are USI, USII, Sociology, Environmental Science, Government, World Religions, Microeconomics, and Business Management. This has saved so much money! We are glad he first completed HOD's high school - we both enjoyed his HOD high school immensely! By the time he graduated, he was then mature enough to be ready for college level tests/work/courses.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, ladies! It is always fun to see what the favorites are! :D

Blessings,
Carrie