Rev2Rev and MTMM- NCAA requirements?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jenvb14@hotmail.com

Rev2Rev and MTMM- NCAA requirements?

Post by Jenvb14@hotmail.com » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Hello,
I have seen posts about how the high school HOD guides can meet NCAA requirements. But I need help determining if Rev2Rev and MTMM will satisfy the requirements as well. My son is currently in 8th using RtR. Our plan was to continue in the regular sequence of the guides, adding in foreign language, government, and economics. He will miss US History 1 and 2, but I believe he is placed well now, so that was our plan...UNTIL someone informed me of the NCAA requirements! So can you tell me if these 2 lower guides along with WG and WH can still work for us? Thank you!!

chillin'inandover

Re: Rev2Rev and MTMM- NCAA requirements?

Post by chillin'inandover » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes these guides will work. I would suggest using US1 for Chemistry, Government, and Foreign Language and US2 for Astronomy, Personal Finance, and Foreign language. There are posts her that explain how to beef up those 2 guides, but I found it easier to use HOD plans.

My daughter may also do NCAA for swimming. She has been on the varsity swim team since 7th grade and loves swimming. I have joined FB groups for NCAA homeschoolers and swimming specific. They have been helpful as we ponder this option. I'm hesitant to pursue this route because, honestly, it would take away from her college coursework due to the time comment.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Jenvb14@hotmail.com

Post by Jenvb14@hotmail.com » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm

OK I joined the NCAA group on fb! Thanks! So does this look like an ok schedule? I’m not sure if I’m missing anything or if the load is spaced out well. Here is what I’ve come up with, using Carries recommendations in another post. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Thank you!!!

9th Grade: Rev2Rev-
- [ ] 1.0 Credit American History 1. RevtoRev Economy Package w/ State Study & Signers. RevtoRev Extension Package. Basic package is optional.
- [ ] 0.5 Credit Government.*Federalist Papers (Not all, but for sure 10,14,84,78,70,39,51). *5,000 Year Leap. *Note: Or, do 0.5 Credit Government from US1 guide later, possibly as a summer course or alongside 11th or 12th grade year.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Physical Science advanced option, with lab. Science add-on Option 2.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Math- Geometry.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Language Arts – English 1: The Exciting World of Creative Writing. Drawn into the Heart of Reading – 6/7/8 Student Book. Level 7/8 Boy Pack (do at least 6 or more titles). English 7 (first half)
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Bible. Bible Study included in RevtoRev Economy Package. *Balancing the Sword. *How Then Should We Live?
- [ ] 0.5 Credit Fine Arts – Music Appreciation: Composer Study in the RevtoRev Economy Package. *Lives of the Great Composers. *The Gift of Music. *Additional in-depth listening to some composers of your choosing. *Short paper or two on a composer(s). *Note: The above * need not ALL be done, but this is at your discretion.
- [ ] 2.0 Credits Spanish 1 and 2, Community College. Fall and Spring.

10th Grade: MTMM-
- [ ] 1.0 Credit American History 2 with Extensions.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Chemistry with lab from US1. Try to add creation/evolution study
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Algebra 2 Trig.
- [ ] 0.5 Credit Bible
- [ ] 1.0 Credit English II (lit./comp/grammar ) from WG
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Spanish 3, community college
- [ ] Add 1.0 Credit Economics from US2, or 1.0 Credit Speech, or 1/2 Credit Finance from US2??
11th Grade: World Geography-
- [ ] 1.0 Credit English
- [ ] 1.0 Credit World Geography
0.5 Credit World Religion and Cultures
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Science- Astronomy with lab from US2.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Math- Statistics.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Bible
- [ ] 0.5 Credit Logic
- [ ] SAT Prep
12th Grade: World History
- [ ] 1.0 Credit World History
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Science- Biology with lab.
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Math- Calculus
- [ ] 1.0 Credit English
- [ ] 0.5 Credit Health
- [ ] 1.0 Credit Bible
- [ ] 0.5-1.0 Credit Fine Arts
- [ ] Add 1.0 Credit Economics from US2, or 1.0 Credit Speech, or 1/2 Credit Finance from US2??

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm

It sounds like you have quite the athlete in the family there - how exciting! Congratulations!!! In general, we recommend using our 4-year high school guide sequence as planned for families trying to meet NCAA requirements. However, there are different paths through high school families take with HOD that work well too! It sounds like you are in contact with a group dedicated to specifically helping with meeting NCAA requirements, which is wonderful to hear! They will certainly be a good resource to share your modified HOD 4-year plan with to make sure it will comply, as will Tammy (thank you for responding here, Tammy!!!). We have had families who have used HOD all the way through high school now, and some of these students have happily gone on to college with full-ride athletic scholarships quite seamlessly under the NCAA regulations. Some of these students did so prior to Carrie even having written the last several high school guides, so modified plans have been shown to work in the past.

The NCAA has been known to be picky, even with programs such as Abeka and BJU, however, it seems the two important things in regard to high school transcripts for the NCAA are 1) listing only books with appropriate high school levels clearly noted on them, and 2) not listing 1/2 credits. So for 1), for example, in the WG High School guide, Mapping the World by Art would not be listed on a transcript, as it is geared toward a wider age range span including younger ages than the other resources. There are ample other resources in the WG package to list that are clearly categorized as high school level, so this is not a big deal to omit listing one title. Likewise, for grammar you would just list the title Building Securely, rather than English 7, as you'd have to explain R & S English 7 is high school credit worthy because their students do not attend high school. So for 2), for example, instead of listing Spanish as a 1/2 credit being earned in 9th grade, it would be better to list it as 1 full credit earned in 10th grade (it is fine to award one full credit upon the completion of the two 1/2 credits in the 10th grade year for reporting purposes).

We just had previous HOD users share their son was accepted to Baylor on a full ride football scholarship, having met NCAA standards just fine having used HOD the entire way through high school. So, the future looks promising with NCAA and HOD! As always, when your student is closer to the age to be looking ahead to college, it will be a good idea to check current regulations specific to his after high school choices. I hope this helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jenvb14@hotmail.com

Post by Jenvb14@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks Julie!
First, do you still recommend we continue with Rev2Rev and not skip to WG? He’s definitely not an advanced student.
Also, how do I determine if the scheduled books are high school level? And if they aren’t do I just need to make sure there’s enough that are, or do we replace it?
I’ve had Yelp on the fb group so I’ve been changing the above schedule already to make sure each year isn’t too heavily loaded.
Thank you!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 pm

If placement has been solid, we don't recommend skipping guides. Skipping one guide may be possible; skipping two guides is usually not, unless initial placement was way too easy. Adding the extensions does beef up RevtoRev and/or MTMM for high school in the area of history. Omitting from the listing of resources on a transcript any books from the Economy Package history readings that note a younger age takes care of any concern of 'too young' of a feel. With HOD being a literature-based curricula, there are so many books that are befitting a higher level of age and maturity-wise content (especially with the addition of the Extension Package) that it should be fine. Keep in mind that each year of HOD's high school gets harder and more challenging as students move up through the guides, even with the electives. So, for example, the Fine Arts or Health electives in WH would be much easier overall than the USII Economics or Speech electives. Likewise, the Chemistry in USI will be much harder (and include higher level math applications) than the IPC in WG. Whenever it is possible to keep the electives/credits more in order, it would be a good idea to try to do so overall. I hope this helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Jenvb14@hotmail.com

Post by Jenvb14@hotmail.com » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Very helpful Julie thank you!!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm glad to have helped, and from what you've shared I anticipate all going quite smoothly! Now it will just be figuring out the details.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie