Prayers for Evie today

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Prayers for Evie today

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:06 am

I've posted about Evie's troubles in the past... basically she really struggles with processing between written, auditory, and spoken language.... in other words what she sees vs what she hears vs what she speaks is totally different for her. And because of this reading is a HUGE issue. Her "symptoms" are very similar to dyslexia, but its not dyslexia.

Well in our research, and with the help of the person who gives our tests each year (who has been helping me try to figure Evie out) we have come across something called Irlen Syndrome. Which basically is how the brain processes light! Because their brain doesn't process light the same way as typical, they have trouble reading and processing... it's like ADHD, chronic fatigue, and dyslexia all rolled into one!

So Evie is going this afternoon to be tested for Irlen Syndrome. We are honestly hopeful that she is diagnosed with this because the solution is simply a colored overlay onto her reading material (or math or whatever else that is on white paper). Eventually we can transition to colored lenses in glasses frames, which would basically be her "reading glasses," but we can't do that right now. It's not covered by insurance and the colored lenses are over $700 plus the testing, where the overlays are free with the $125 testing.

Anyway, please pray that she is accurately diagnosed, that they can easily tell which color helps her most, and if it's NOT Irlen that they can point us in the right direction.

3sweeties

Re: Prayers for Evie today

Post by 3sweeties » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Just now reading this, but praying for you and your daughter!
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Lora Beth,

Praying for you and for Evie that you will find the answers you need!

Blessings,
Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 am

She definitely has Irlen Syndrome. She got her colored overlays and the difference in how she read from no overlays, the wrong color overlays, and the correct ones is amazing. It's definitely over one grade level higher with the correct overlays! The charting for diagnosing Irlen goes from 0(no signs/symptoms) to 18+ (most severe).... I can't remember what the two parameters were, but on one Evie scored 17 and on the other it was 21!

Even as she was going through the testing I thought that it might be a mental thing. I was a bit skeptical that it was "real" and that it was actually the problem. BUT as SHE was going through the testing the diagnostician started suspecting that I might have Irlen, too, based off of how I was looking/reacting with Evie's questions. So she tested me free of charge at the end. She stopped counting both of my parameters at 25. Evidently I'm one of the most severe cases she's ever seen where I just adapted to my symptoms. When she put the colored overlays onto the page I was totally amazed. With some of the colors I could barely read at all. With the correct colors, all the symptoms that I just thought were part of life COMPLETELY WENT AWAY. Things I had read about how people read and comprehend made sense to me because it was now happening!

I also found out that the things I thought were floaters in my vision all my life are actually a thing called visual snow. And reading about that explains SO MUCH about my vision!

So, we found answers for Evie, but I think the appointment might have been more impactful for MY life.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am

Oh my! I just read this whole thread, but I am praising God for this helpful diagnosis for not only Evie, but also for you, Lora Beth!!! Wow! That sounds like an incredible breakthrough and a total explanation for what you've been describing. I'm so glad you were able to get to the bottom of this, and I pray you continue to enjoy growth and good changes that will surely continue to come from having this proper diagnosis.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 pm

I just answered your question about having a younger child surpass an older one, then saw this thread! My DD (the one between the two brothers) has Irlen, too! Isn't it amazing the difference in the tone of their voice, their confidence, when they put the glasses on!?! Absolutely miraculous!

I, too, have it, though much more mildly, mostly using my glasses as sun glasses and for driving at night. I have some symptoms while reading but they are very mild and I've always ignored them.

While it seems the "jury is out" on whether Irlen Syndrome is "real" or can be a true diagnosis, there's no way you can deny how the right light filters DO certainly make a huge difference for some. I'm glad you found out now for your daughter! Mine was 14 when we finally had an answer why she was tested to have no LDs, but she could not read fluently.

Blessings!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 am

I'm severe :shock:

it is truly amazing how well she reads now. She doesn't have the glasses, just the overlays right now. We didn't have the money to get the glasses yet. But even with the overlays, she's reading easily two grade levels above where she was. In just a month.

I have to say that whether it is "real" or not, it has made a huge difference in her life. And now I'm telling everyone about it. It honestly has made a significant difference in how I treat myself. I also would ignore my symptoms, but now I"m acknowledging them and realizing that they do make it more difficult for me. Instead of getting frustrated with myself. And when I remember my overlays it also helps me read more fluently... even though I was fluent before.