How do I run the guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cbenner0723

How do I run the guide?

Post by cbenner0723 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:25 pm

I have 5 children but my issue currently is with my oldest two. Boy 1 is 11yo and Boy 2 is 9 yo. Boy 2 has learning disabilities so he requires a lot of my attention. Boy 1 loves to learn, excels at many things but he loves to do shortcuts. (and he thinks he can get away with it because I have to give so much attention to my 9 yo, plus my 6 yo, 2yo and 5 month old.) I had my oldest in Preparing at the start but had to drop him back into the Bigger guide with his brother to help me out a little. I thought that having them in the same guide would allow me to give them both the attention at the same time and monitor them easier. This worked great. They both were able to complete everything they needed and both were happy and learning.
The problem I'm seeing now is how to proceed. I want to move them onto Preparing but not sure how. I wanted to do it at half speed but I feel like this will put my oldest (Boy1) to far behind. He is so much more advanced that I don't foresee doing half will do him justice. But I also don't see Boy 2 being able to do it at full speed. He struggles so much that I know he wouldn't be able to keep up at full pace.
How can I do both of the boys in the same guide but one at full speed and the other at half....also I've tried to find out what half and full speed actually mean but I can't find anthing on it. THe only thing I find is that people use them and try to figure out which is best for their child. I thought I remember reading something that would help me but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks so much
C Benner
Mom of 5
Wife of a Navy Submariner
Boy 11yr & 9yo - finished BHFHG
Girl 6yo - finished LHFHG
Boy 2yo
Girl 5 months

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: How do I run the guide?

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:38 pm

I only have a moment, but I was just wondering whether your 9 year old successfully completed all of Bigger? If he was able to do all of Bigger as written, he should most likely be able to head into full-speed Preparing Hearts. :D If you are concerned, you could ease into Preparing by doing half-speed for a couple weeks to train your boys in the Preparing Hearts' skills. Half-speed can be as simple as doing the left page one day and the right page the next day. Or, you can just count and do half of the boxes of plans one day and the other half of the boxes the next day. After a couple of weeks, you can move forward toward full-speed fairly quickly. :D

If, on the other hand, you were needing to modify things quite a bit for your 9 year old in Bigger (or help him quite a bit), you may want to consider placing him in Beyond with your little girl instead. From your signature it looks like you will have a daughter heading into Beyond. :D If you did put your 9 year old in Beyond, you would use higher level grammar, math, reading, and spelling for him. For those subjects, you would follow the schedule from either Bigger or Preparing (depending which levels of those subjects he needs). Combining your son and daughter for history, science, Bible, poetry, etc. may be an answer for the long haul. This plan would allow your oldest son some freedom to be more independent and would allow you time to work with your second son as needed. It would also take into consideration your second son's areas of difficulty and help you address those needs.

Anway, these are just a couple of options!

Blessings,
Carrie

cbenner0723

Re: How do I run the guide?

Post by cbenner0723 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Carrie,
Thank you for your response.
I did have to coach him a lot. He has a hard time focusing so I have to constantly be on him. He also hates writing because he struggles with spelling. He does great with the emerging readers and can comprehend what he reads even though he can't sit still reading it. I'm amazed at how well he understands what he reads with all the fidgeting.
I never thought to drop him down to Divinity level. I think this would be best. I'll keep moving him up in math and English as he did good with these books/ lessons.
I'll do him full speed with her in her book. :)
Thanks a lot.
Thanks so much
C Benner
Mom of 6
Wife of a Navy Submariner
Boy 13yr - finished BHFHG and Preparing
Boy 11yo - finished BHFHG and BLHFHG
Girl 7yo - finished LHFHG and partially finished BLHFHG
Boy 3yo
Girl 22 months
Girl 3 months