Placement help needed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

Placement help needed

Post by Bijou » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi,
We are considering coming back to HOD this fall. I have placement figured out for everyone except for my 14 year old son. He does not have any learning disabilities. I want to place him at the beginning of a history cycle, but the high school guides will be too much for him. He has not had enough exposure to good literature except for his early years and has not done much writing and researching. I am thinking of placing him in CTC with extensions and beefing up the science. What advice can you give me in this matter?
Thanks!
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

StephanieU

Re: Placement help needed

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 pm

If you look at the placement chart, where does he place for each item?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Placement help needed

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Bijou wrote:Hi,
We are considering coming back to HOD this fall. I have placement figured out for everyone except for my 14 year old son. He does not have any learning disabilities. I want to place him at the beginning of a history cycle, but the high school guides will be too much for him. He has not had enough exposure to good literature except for his early years and has not done much writing and researching. I am thinking of placing him in CTC with extensions and beefing up the science. What advice can you give me in this matter?
Thanks!
Hi Bijou! For children with no learning disabilities, we would not recommend completing CTC through MTMM for 9th through 12th grade. Heart of Dakota's guides increase incrementally in skills, maturity, and independence each year, and CTC is written primarily for 9-11 year old children in 4th/5th/6th grades. The amount of extensions for CTC for 9th grade would be significant. Though extensions can extend the history for older children, rather than choosing high school placement based on the historical time period, we'd recommend choosing placement according to the placement chart. Here Carrie explains why...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9340

We want HOD graduates to be able to do whatever they most want to do upon high school graduation, and we want them well prepared. Our 9th or 10th grade students often are unsure of what their post high school plans may be, so by doing the best placement we can for them based on what they can do, we help them keep their future options open. I know you'd mentioned the high school guides seem too much for your son, and that the literature, writing, and researching might be too much. It could be that MTMM or RevtoRev might work better. When you look at the placement chart, what can you share with us in regard to its first page and your son? I think we can find a good fit for your son for high school with HOD - we just need some more info - thanks!!!

https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie