Multiple ages

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AliciaN27

Multiple ages

Post by AliciaN27 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Hello! I'm completely new to HOD, but not to homeschooling (it's been 13+ years). I'm having trouble though, figuring out what child I should put where. The placement charts are helpful - but I have three littles to juggle and don't want to do 3 separate programs. Ages are 3, 5, and 7. I'm thinking of getting Little Hands to Heaven, and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. Does anyone have any suggestions? I keep going in circles with what to do.

StephanieU

Re: Multiple ages

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:50 pm

What have you done in the past with the 7yo? How is that child at reading and handwriting?
For both the 5 and 7yos, how are they at sitting still for a story with little to no pictures?
For the 5yo, does this child want school work or would he/she rather play?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

AliciaN27

Post by AliciaN27 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:33 pm

My 7 year old has mainly done Abeka phonics but it's been slow. She is reading, but it's not a first grade level yet in my opinion. Her handwriting is great. Both 5 and 7 year old sit still for read-alouds, even without pics. The 5 year old wants to do schoolwork but attention span is only about 20-30 minutes - and some days a little less :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:04 pm

I see a few options, and it depends on their personalities.

First, you could combine the 5 and 7yo in LHFHG. This would allow you to keep this pair combined possibly long term, assuming they like to be together for school. For the 7yo, you could add in a little extra copywork or have that child make a timeline or something just to make it slightly more advanced. But, LHFHG is fine for 2nd grade as written.

Second, you could put the 7yo in Beyond and do LHTH with the 5 and 3yos. The 5yo can start phonics, K math, handwriting, and fine motor skills (items from HOD or elsewhere) as ready. Then, next year the 5yo moves to LHFHG and the 3yo can tag along or repeat LHTH (or anything else for PreK). This will result in 3 guides, but it means you can tailor the speed to each child as necessary. If one needs to slow down, you aren't holding the other one back.

Third, you could plan on combining the younger two. It would mean waiting to start LHFHG until the 3yo is 5. Again, it definitely depends on personalities and if the 3you even wants school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

AliciaN27

Post by AliciaN27 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Thank you! It's so helpful for me to hear ideas from others - I appreciate it so much!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am

I agree... I would either combine the older two in LHFHG or the younger two in LHTH. Personally I think I'd do Beyond, continuing phonics instead of the Emerging Readers with the older one, slowly if necessary. And I'd combine the younger two in LHTH. I'd add in all the K level workbooks from LHFHG (math and fine motor skills) for the 5yo. And for the 3yo I'd be a little less concerned with doing school work every day.

That way as they go on the older two would have a guide between their guides (no doing back to back guides), and could keep going. Honestly doing multiple guides is really not hard as long as everyone is placed correctly. Then you could either do LHTH next year again with the youngest, or take a year off of HOD and do LHTH the year that one is 5 for K. Once again keeping them not back to back.

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 am

I agree with the suggestions of the others. I would use Beyond with the 7 year old and LHTH for the 5 year old. I would allow the 3 year old to listen in with the 5 year old, but not require it as 3 is a bit young. Next year when the 5 year old moves up you can repeat LHTH with the youngest again. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am

I won't argue the placement suggestions of the other ladies but will urge you not to start two children combined in any guide until the YOUNGER one is ready skill-wise for that guide. I would even err on approaching the middle of the suggested age range for that guide. There's nothing worse than having one child struggling to keep up while the older feels it's a breeze, and while LHFHG may be easy, the way Beyond and Bigger ramp up, a child who is just managing in LHFHG will find themselves outpaced quickly in the coming years, so starting them solidly within the skills required for the early guides is your best chance at success.

That said, with them all 2 years apart, doing 3 guides (where they are not placed in back-to-back guides) is definitely do-able.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics