Multiple Guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom03

Multiple Guides

Post by HSMom03 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 pm

How do I teach Preparing and Beyond together? Like would I do Bible from each, then complete the next box for each, going back and forth and so on between students? Or would I complete Beyond before starting Preparing each day?? Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Multiple Guides

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

I did those two almost 2 years ago. We start our official school day with math, although my kids listen to Awana verses over breakfast, etc. After math, I normally did the history box in Preparing and the rotating box. I would also read over the history project with my daughter so she knew what to do there. Then I would work with the Beyond child on the history-related boxes. While I was working with the Beyond child, the Preparing one could do the history project, science, and/or independent history (or finish up the history and rotating box if necessary). After that, I would bounce back and forth between them, normally 15-30 minutes at a time. My Beyond child would do copywork and Xtramath while I worked with the Preparing child. Then he would go play with his younger sister often (or alone). Normally it wouldn't take us much more than the time it would take to do just Preparing, as the Preparing child was busy most of the time I was working with the Beyond child.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mtmom9107

Post by mtmom9107 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am

Thank you Stephanie, I'll be doing these two guides in a few months and this will be helpful.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm

That's how I do multiple guides as well... I start the oldest with any semi independent boxes, explain any directions they don't understand, and send them off to work on their part of the teacher boxes and the independent boxes... As the year progresses my kids have all started reading part or all (depending on their reading level/ability) of the history on their own too. I can get almost all, if not everything, done with Beyond while my Preparing kids are doing their work. Then I finish up with the Preparing child, checking their work and then doing anything that's left to do.