Placement Advice (9th grade)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaime1439

Placement Advice (9th grade)

Post by Jaime1439 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:12 am

Good morning!

I am in need of some direction for my son...

He is in 8th grade, is 13 years old, and will be completing Revival to Revolution this year. My biggest question is to place him in Missions to Modern Marvels for 9th grade credit, World Geography for 9th grade or keep him back in 8th grade and do MtMM at grade level.

We just received his CAT scores and he was a bit below average in reading vocabulary, reading comprehension, and language spelling. He has completed Preparing, skipped CtC, completed RtR and Rev to Rev. We completed R&S English 4 (with Preparing) and 5 (with RtR), but he did not want to go into R&S English 6. We tested him with ACE and he placed in 6 level ACE English (with Rev to Rev). He is just completing 6th level ACE English with Rev to Rev. I am surprised with his reading comprehension test scores. He does the narrations in Rev to Rev and they seem good to me! Maybe I need to have someone else evaluate his narrations? He does struggle with spelling.

He tested fine in math and will go into TT Algebra 1 no matter what program we choose.

I don't know what is best for him! He does not want to stay back and wants to continue into 9th grade.
He plans to be a racecar driver as his occupation. If that does not work out, he would like to do graphic design for racecars. Third plan is an engineer for NASCAR (which requires high level math and science to get into engineering school, but that is not his main focus.)

Any direction would be helpful. Thank you SO much!

Jaime

StephanieU

Re: Placement Advice (9th grade)

Post by StephanieU » Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am

I wouldn't jump to WG. I would definitely do MtMM. Whether you count it as 8th or 9th grade is slightly harder. Do you have to report a grade in your state each year? If not, I would probably wait to decide if he will graduate in 4 or 5 years in a few years. See if his plans for after high school are slightly more solidified and if the extra year would actually be beneficial.

If you have to report a grade, I would call him 9th. You can always keep him at home longer. Or he can go to a community college for a few years of he is interested in the engineering to get the extra math and science he needs.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jaime1439

Post by Jaime1439 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes, I do have to report a grade. We are in New York. Requirements for 9th grade go up as well.
Jaime

DS13, DD11, DS8

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 am

Jaime - you can use MTMM for 9th grade without a problem in NY (I am also in NY). My 11th grader is using Rev to Rev this year and I have had no problems. If your child does not have special learning needs (mine does), just do the extension books to add that extra for HS credit. There are threads that tell you how to make it high school worthy.

I have added in a few things to get in the requirements needed (we added a government book this year to complete that requirement). Next year I will add on to economics and also add in health so we complete those requirements.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 am

I'm also from NY and agree with rumkimom that it would be no problem to use MTMM for 9th. My son is currently finishing 9th grade and we're not yet in the high school guides, yet had no problem getting our IHIP accepted.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16