The Fallacy Detective Timing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HawaiianMoon4

The Fallacy Detective Timing?

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:30 pm

I have a 11.5 year old who will be in 6th grade next year and starting RtoR. He is incredibly intelligent, but he seems to fall so easily for the junk mail we get daily. I decided to add The Fallacy Detective to his curriculum to help him spot false logic. I just saw that The Fallacy Detective is part of the World Geography guide. Does it take long to do daily and would you recommend doing it this next year or waiting until 9th?
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

annaz

Re: The Fallacy Detective Timing?

Post by annaz » Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am

Fallacy Detective moves pretty quickly. If he falls for ads and such, this book is fantastic and I'd recommend it first. It's called, "Made you Look! How advertising works and Why You Should Know."

Fallacy Detective would follow this book nicely.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Rice

Re: The Fallacy Detective Timing?

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am

I would recommend waiting, simply because it's so much easier to follow the guide than to have to look for replacements (it's part of a 1/2 credit in Logic, along with The Art of Argument), especially if you find other resources that will do for now. I'd also say that the Fallacy Detective is probably above his level at this point. My 12yo (13 in 2 mos) is very advanced (did MTMM in 7th, now started WG for 8th) and is doing well with it, but I also have 14 and 16yos doing it, and it's perfect for them, too. I would think he'd get more out of it when it is scheduled.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics