Placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Amie

Placement

Post by Amie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 am

Hello -- I am new to this forum and new to HOD. I have a 9 yr. old DD and I have been struggling with which curriculum to use. I need a bit more structure and keep coming back to HOD. I thought about MFW, but have decided HOD is a better fit for my DD and me. Now to placement. I have looked at the placement charts several times and I am struggling with where to place her. Any help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! ~Amie

StephanieU

Re: Placement

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 am

What have you been doing for school up until now?
What books can she read comfortably?
How comfortable is she with copying sentences and paragraphs?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Amie

Post by Amie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 am

We were doing Ambleside Online. Lots of living books. Eclectic. She is reading Little Women right now. She is an excellent reader. She is comfortable copying sentences and paragraphs. She is in the process of learning cursive.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:07 am

If you look at each box in the placement chart, which guides are you contemplating?
Mom to

Amie

Post by Amie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Either PHFHG or C to C.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 pm

What areas does she place into Preparing for?
How is she at working independently?
Last edited by StephanieU on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Amie,

Thanks so much for sharing a bit about your 9 year old. From what you've shared thus far, I would look at either Preparing Hearts or CTC for your daughter. In order to help you decide between the two, I need to ask a few more questions. If you get a chance to pop back and share your thoughts, we can give better placement advice. :D

When you were using Ambleside, did you read the readings for history and science aloud to your daughter, or did she do those readings herself? Was she mainly orally narrating, or had she also started some written narrations? Is she used to writing multiple times a day in several subjects? Or, is she more used to writing only shorter segments once or twice a day. How independent is she at reading and following written directions in order to work on her own? How long of a school day would you say she is used to?

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:44 am

Hi Amie! I think we visited on the phone several times, and I asked the same questions as Carrie! Sisters think alike, I guess. I'm thinking we settled on PHFHG due to the level of independence and the amount of writing in the PHFHG assignments I'd described, as well as the maturity of content in CTC. Upped the DITHOR reading too, as your daughter is a wonderful reader! Good to throw it out here if you still have questions though - this board is awesome! Never a bad idea to get multiple opinions - God bless!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie