placement for upcoming 7th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

placement for upcoming 7th grader

Post by twolittlebears » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:14 pm

I have my 12yo combined with my 9yo in Preparing. It's going really well! However, looking at the placement guide, my 12yo for next year falls in between CTC and RTR. I'm not sure which guide to go with. I love having my boys together, but if my oldest needs to move ahead, then I need to do it. Is it ok to use CTC with extensions or RTR for 7th grade? I guess I'm looking for approval. LOL!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: placement for upcoming 7th grader

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 pm

twolittlebears,

There is a pretty big jump up between Preparing and RTR. Since things seem to be going well for your kiddos, and you like keeping them combined for now, I would be inclined to suggest that your kiddos remain combined in CTC. CTC really works toward more independence, so I would make sure that you are having your older child do all of the 'I' boxes independently as assigned. It is also important for that child to do the Extension readings. :D It will also be important for your oldest child to be doing DITHR 6/7/8 and to be doing the higher level of Rod and Staff assigned in CTC.

Then, after next year when you are done with CTC, we can reevaluate and see if your older child needs to jump over a guide. It is possible to use both Rev2Rev and MTMM for the first years of high school if needed, so depending on your older child's post-high school plans, you might not have to jump forward a guide. We can always go year to year as we travel this path to see at what point it might work best to advance your child forward a guide if needed. :D

Blessings,
Carrie