Behind in math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
woodrumfamily

Behind in math

Post by woodrumfamily » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a 4th grader finishing up Preparing, and a 2nd grader finishing up Beyond. This is the second guide for each of them to finish. We love HOD! We have used Singapore Math from the beginning, but for some reason we are behind in math. I guess I placed my kids in their respective guides based on their English/reading/writing skills, but they were not at those same levels for their math skills. My fear is that we're going to keep getting further and further behind! The 4th grader is not done with the 3B book yet, and the 2nd grader is getting ready to finish the 1B book. She is also still struggling with her addition facts (memorizing them in order to recall them quickly), and the 4th grader is doing the same thing with multiplication facts. Is there a way for me to get them faster with these things so we can catch back up?? I don't want to speed through things if they're not mastering them...

StephanieU

Re: Behind in math

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 pm

First, they are not as far behind as you think they are. Singapore is advanced, so doing a level below their grade is not behind. After 6B, some kids are ready for Algebra 1. The others just need a year of PreAlgebra. So if you finish 6B at the end of 7th grade, you are still on track for Algebra 1 in 9th grade, which is the normal time to take it.

As for math facts most start memorizing addition at the end of Level 1. So your second grader is on track with that. We do use Xtramath as math facts practice. It takes a few minutes a day, and it seems to work. They're are other options too. But don't stress if they have to think and don't have them memorized! It isn't the key to math. They need to know how to do the operation most of all. Time is all they need to memorize them.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

woodrumfamily

Post by woodrumfamily » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!! I really appreciate it, and feel better now! :D

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 am

I also agree that you are not behind in math. My oldest as doing one level below her grade in Singapore too. She right on target to start Algebra next year for her 9th grade year.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 pm

If it's an encouragement, my 2nd grader is still finishing up 1B as well. :-) We've got a gamut of math abilities in this family and have always used Singapore as well. My eldest is a math-aholic (and thus way "ahead" of book level), my second is math-phobic, and my two girls seem to be somewhere in the middle! Singapore definitely is a step ahead of others, so try not to look at the book level as "grade level." If they're progressing at a fairly steady pace, then be encouraged!

For math facts, we've used Xtramath but more recently, I've been using the two Rocketmath Home apps (one for +-, the other for x/). The main difference I've seen is Xtramath compiles a big picture of what they already know and then works from there. Rocketmath takes a more systematic approach: each level introduces a couple new math facts and then they add a couple more each level while reviewing the old. You can use the first 6-10 levels (can't remember exactly how many) to see if it's working for you before you have to buy it. Xtramath, however, is free. :-)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

We also are about a year "behind." I do understand they are advanced programs, however, do it brings me a level of comfort. Also, we plan to try to get in about 3 math lessons a week over the summer to try to make some headway even we have less school going on. I was surrprised when I mentioned that to me eleven year old and he said, "Good. I won't forget it over break." Ha! Right now we are trying out the free trials for the online Hanes Math Rider and Reflex to see which one my children like best to practice fluency. Of course, one child likes one game and the other likes the other one! I guess we'll see what we choose.
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Hmm. I wrote my reply on a phone while rocking a wiggly toddler. Being real, it's about the only time I get to sit down to do such! Please excuse the plethora of auto corrects!
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

Shei

Post by Shei » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 pm

My son is 8.5 y/o and we are beginning Singapore 2A, also still struggling with her addition & subtraction facts. My mother in law and my husband thinks that he is behind for his age, I have tried a book (Addition in the fun way), a add/ subtraction music cd, Xtramath (he doesn't like it), and fastfacts table for practice... I have been doubting about Singapore, but my husband think is a good program. So, I don't know :roll:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am

My overall goal with Singapore Math is for my kiddos to finish 6B by the end of 7th grade. Then, we go into Principles of Mathematics Book 2 for 8th grade. This worked well for us so far! Another good path for math would be to finish 5B by the end of 6th grade, and do Principles of Mathematics Book 1 for 7th grade, and Principles of Mathematics 2 for 8th grade. This path would be good for a student who cannot stick with the rigor of 6A/6B for 7th. Hope this helps!

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie