New book in CTC....The Radical Book for Kids?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

New book in CTC....The Radical Book for Kids?

Post by momtofive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Next school year will be our fifth run through the Creation to Christ guide with our youngest. :D It's bittersweet to approach the last time doing a guide, but mostly sweet! ;)

In looking through the packages on the website, I noticed the Genesis Finding Our Roots book has gone out of print, and a new book has taken its place...The Radical Book for Kids. While we've used the Genesis book four times, the new book looks intriguing. Obviously there are new plans to accompany this new addition to the guide. I'm wondering if I have to purchase a new guide to use this book, or will a small set of plans be available instead. It would be $78 for the guide, making it rather expensive to try to use this new book (Approx $106 for the new book and guide). I'd like to use the new book, and am wondering if I can learn more about the book, why it was chosen, and what the best way would be to use it for *old* HOD customers like me! Lol! :lol:

Thank you! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

countrymom

Re: New book in CTC....The Radical Book for Kids?

Post by countrymom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

I found this in the description,
A replacement schedule for The Radical Book for Kids comes with your purchase of this title from Heart of Dakota.
. Sounds interesting!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 am

Well, thank you....somehow missed that little tidbit. Lol! :lol:

That's a relief! I'll put just the book on my order then. :wink:

Thank you, Countrymom! :D
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

You will have to report back and say what you think. I did think that book looked very interesting but stuck with the Genesis Study for my kids.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Sure Nealewill, I'm curious myself about why Carrie chose this particular book, and what it will bring to the Creation to Christ study. :wink:
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Lisa,

It's interesting that you asked about this book, as we are using it right now with our fourth son (after having done Genesis: Finding Our Roots three different times with our three older sons). :D

I did thoroughly enjoy Genesis: Finding Our Roots every time I went through it, yet I will admit that it was a very challenging book for the 9-11 year old age range in CTC! I sometimes wondered if I was getting more out of the book than my boys were!

The new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots did not retain the beauty, formatting, or layout of the original edition. This new format made the new edition an even more difficult read... making it very difficult for the parent to share with a child in the target age-range within Creation to Christ. In the new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots, all of the full-color images are in one inset in the center of the book. The font size is quite small, and the paragraphing has been changed reducing much of the white space that gave the book an easier feel. The book is no longer a hardback. The page size is much reduced, resulting in dense, text-heavy pages. The index is simply reprinted from the original edition... not matching the new edition at all. Even perusing it with an eye to an adult readership, the book appears challenging. :D

As we looked for possible replacements for this age-range for the "Bible Study" box within Creation to Christ, I settled upon The Radical Book for Kids: Exploring the Roots and Shoots of Faith. This book is hardback, full-color, and visually appealing. The topics speak to the heart of the child and contain Biblical character training along with life lessons. The book is very different in style and in its goals from Genesis: Finding Our Roots, so it takes a bit of adjustment in expectations as you use it in order to enjoy it. It does a good job of being age-appropriate, is enjoyable to read aloud, opens discussions with your child, and covers Biblical topics in an interesting way. While the topics in The Radical Book for Kids are more varied than those in Genesis: Finding Our Roots, they also take you deep into the ancient roots and Biblical theology of the Christian faith. By the time you have completed the book, you will be amazed by all of the topics you have covered. It is surprisingly thorough and engaging! We are enjoying it this year with our son! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Carrie,
Is there a time table for when the schedule will come with the book? Although we are enjoying Genesis: Finding Your Roots, I don't know if I will want to use it with my younger kids or not. But it will be 2+ years until we might need it.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Stephanie,

Great question! A replacement schedule comes now along with your purchase from HOD of The Radical Book for Kids. We're following the replacement schedule right now with our own son to try out The Radical Book for Kids with him. I'm not sure at which point the schedule for The Radical Book for Kids will be in the actual CTC guide, as I'm not quite sure when CTC is going into its next reprint. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Carrie wrote:Stephanie,

Great question! A replacement schedule comes now along with your purchase from HOD of The Radical Book for Kids. We're following the replacement schedule right now with our own son to try out The Radical Book for Kids with him. I'm not sure at which point the schedule for The Radical Book for Kids will be in the actual CTC guide, as I'm not quite sure when CTC is going into its next reprint. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Would it be possible for you to announce that when it is coming close? That way those of is with current guides can decide if we want to order the book with the schedule or not?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Carrie wrote:Lisa,

It's interesting that you asked about this book, as we are using it right now with our fourth son (after having done Genesis: Finding Our Roots three different times with our three older sons). :D

I did thoroughly enjoy Genesis: Finding Our Roots every time I went through it, yet I will admit that it was a very challenging book for the 9-11 year old age range in CTC! I sometimes wondered if I was getting more out of the book than my boys were!

The new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots did not retain the beauty, formatting, or layout of the original edition. This new format made the new edition an even more difficult read... making it very difficult for the parent to share with a child in the target age-range within Creation to Christ. In the new edition of Genesis: Finding Our Roots, all of the full-color images are in one inset in the center of the book. The font size is quite small, and the paragraphing has been changed reducing much of the white space that gave the book an easier feel. The book is no longer a hardback. The page size is much reduced, resulting in dense, text-heavy pages. The index is simply reprinted from the original edition... not matching the new edition at all. Even perusing it with an eye to an adult readership, the book appears challenging. :D

As we looked for possible replacements for this age-range for the "Bible Study" box within Creation to Christ, I settled upon The Radical Book for Kids: Exploring the Roots and Shoots of Faith. This book is hardback, full-color, and visually appealing. The topics speak to the heart of the child and contain Biblical character training along with life lessons. The book is very different in style and in its goals from Genesis: Finding Our Roots, so it takes a bit of adjustment in expectations as you use it in order to enjoy it. It does a good job of being age-appropriate, is enjoyable to read aloud, opens discussions with your child, and covers Biblical topics in an interesting way. While the topics in The Radical Book for Kids are more varied than those in Genesis: Finding Our Roots, they also take you deep into the ancient roots and Biblical theology of the Christian faith. By the time you have completed the book, you will be amazed by all of the topics you have covered. It is surprisingly thorough and engaging! We are enjoying it this year with our son! :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Thanks so much, Carrie! :) I appreciate hearing your thoughts on how you came to use this book for CTC. I agree that the Genesis book was rather challenging for this age group, and look forward to using the new book next year. ;)
Carrie wrote:Stephanie,

Blessings,
Carrie
Sounds great! I'll plan on ordering this book when I place my next order! ;)
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!