Which Reading Books To Choose?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faiths13

Which Reading Books To Choose?

Post by faiths13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

I am going to have my almost 8 year old and almost 10 year old in Bigger starting this summer. I am not sure which reading books to choose for them, and I am not sure what reading levels they are at. They have both been in school for 2 years while I had to take a break from homeschool. I am also not sure if I should get the history extension package for my almost 10 year old. I would love some advice. Also, I was thinking of turning the memory verses into handwriting worksheets for them. Do you think that is enough for handwriting, or would it be better to get a workbook? Thank you!
Last edited by faiths13 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephanieU

Re: Which Reading Books To Choose?

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 pm

What books can they read now? If you give us a few titles, we can help determine the reading level.
And are they going into Beyond or Bigger? Beyond doesn't have extensions, and I would think it would be too simple for a 10yo (it is written for 6-8yos). Bigger has extensions and is probably the guide your are meaning. I would buy the extensions assuming the 10yo is on grade level, as Bigger is written for 7-9yos with extensions for 10-11yos.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

faiths13

Post by faiths13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Sorry its, Bigger. I keep getting confused! I don't actually know what books they can read...I have seen my youngest pick up a book and read it with no problem from the library, but I can't remember what it was. It was about science though. I know that doesnt help much.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Take them to the local library or bookstore and let them pick out some books they know they can read but still interested them. There is such a range of reading ability, and your dinner want to over challenge them! The 8yo could be ready for the ER books or DITHOR 2 or if he/she loves to read, Level 3 DITHOR. The 10 yo would probably be better Level 2 be and Level 4/5 of DITHOR. I would user the Level 2 student book, but you want to get an appropriate level of reading books to go with that...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 am

faiths13 wrote:I am going to have my almost 8 year old and almost 10 year old in Bigger starting this summer. I am not sure which reading books to choose for them, and I am not sure what reading levels they are at. They have both been in school for 2 years while I had to take a break from homeschool. I am also not sure if I should get the history extension package for my almost 10 year old. I would love some advice. Also, I was thinking of turning the memory verses into handwriting worksheets for them. Do you think that is enough for handwriting, or would it be better to get a workbook? Thank you!
If you look at the First Week PDF sample for Bigger you will see on Day 4, under Bible Study, where Carrie has them copy their memory verse as a portion of their language arts skills. She does put a number of language arts building skills into her program in the areas of History, Bible, and Science. Thus, you will get to have them copy their memory verses! :D

The Handwriting books are instruction books for either learning Italic or Cursive. If they already write in cursive or italic, and use it frequently in their writing; you will not need these books. If they don't know how to write in Italic or Cursive you will want to purchase one of these books so they can learn how to do so this year. They will need to be able to write in one or the other for Preparing. I choose to have my three learn Italic. The one advantage has been very clear, neat writing. The one disadvantage has been that it did take longer for them to figure out how to read cursive writing, and reading cursive writing is in the Draw-to-Write books in Preparing and the higher programs. The reading of cursive though I did find to come with time.

I agree with Stephanie that if you pick some books from the library to have them read it should help you determine their reading levels. I would start with the Frog and Toad books that libraries generally have. Have them read the books aloud to you to see if they can read them easily. These books are a portion of the Emerging Reader books. If they can read them easily I would see if your library has the First Flight level 4 book used in the Emerging Readers set. It is more difficult than Frog and Toad. Or, another level 4 book that your library has would work as well. Have them read it aloud to you to see if they can read it easily. If they can read it easily I would look at the list of book under Drawn into the Heart of Reading for level 2. Carrie's level 2 books are for reading levels 3.0 (3rd grade) through 4.1 (early 4th grade). Your library might have one of the books on the list you could check out. Have them read it aloud to you and see if they can read it fluently and easily. If they can then you would go to level 3 books from Drawn Into the Heart of Reading to read aloud. Once you find a book they are unable to read easily, but can go through it without too much struggle, you have found a good place to start. If they are hesitant in reading Frog and Toad books then the Emerging Readers, that can be ordered with Bigger, would be a good place to start. If Level 4 books from the Emerging Readers are easy to read, but they struggle some on something like Hannah or McBrooms' Wonderful One-Acre Farm from the Level 2 books then Level 2 book package with Drawn Into the Heart of Reading Student work book 2/3 would be a good place to start. The questions and narrations for the Emerging readers were in the Beyond Appendix; I assume they are in the Bigger Appendix as well. The 2/3 student work book and Drawn Into the Heart of Teacher's Manuel has the work that would go with the level 2 or level 3 books. The level 3 books are for reading levels 3.5 - 5.1 and would also go with the Drawn into The Heart of Reading TM and Student 2/3 Workbook. If you look at the Level 3 book list on The Drawn Into the Heart of Reading on the web-site you should also be able to find one or two at the library to see if the reading level would be a great struggle or just right.

I hope this is helpful! :D

faiths13

Post by faiths13 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

OK, I just realized that the oldest has been reading Diary of A Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants books. Not the best books, I know, but I'm wondering if I can use those to determine where to put him in reading?

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:17 pm

faiths13 wrote:OK, I just realized that the oldest has been reading Diary of A Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants books. Not the best books, I know, but I'm wondering if I can use those to determine where to put him in reading?
He would place in level 3 book pack from what you are saying. He would do the level 3 book pack with student workbook 2/3 from Drawn into the Heart of Reading. You could also look at the 4/5 book pack and 4/5 student workbook.

We haven't read either of those books, but I did just look up the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The site said it was at a 4.0 reading level. This would put your oldest into the independent reading option with Bigger. You would order the 2/3 Student Workbook / TM pack. Carrie's reading program can be used with books of your choice. However, we do really enjoy her book packs, and they make the program simple to use. For the book packs you would order level 3. The level 3 books are a 3.5 - 5.1 reading level so they would increase his reading level. The link to the level 3 book pack is on the Bigger Independent Reading option. Another possible option would be the 4/5 pack that starts at a 4.0 reading level, but has many 4.8 - 5.7 (approximate) book levels. My guess would be the 4/5 would stretch him more.

I hope that helps. :D

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:32 am

Also, just so you know, what kids choose to read on their own, is usually their "comfort level" level of reading. That means that's the level they enjoy to read for enjoyment and they are capable of more.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock: