Pride and Prejudice gone from WG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
quiverfull

Pride and Prejudice gone from WG?

Post by quiverfull » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 am

I just noticed that P&P is gone from the Literature list. Is there a reason for the change? Just curious.
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

StephanieU

Re: Pride and Prejudice gone from WG?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 am

It looks like both boys and girls sets went from 6 down to 5 books. I wonder if while actually writing the plans, Carrie realized there just want time to do six books plus BJU?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

It is now in one of the US history guides though, so they will read it eventually!
Mom to

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:47 am

Is there an update to the guide?

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 am

I'm interested in this too, as my next child to use WG, will be using the girl's literature package. The list has more changes than just P&P though. In my WG guidebook, it lists A Lantern in Her Hand, Pride and Predjudice, Papa's Wife, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Little Women. However, on the website, the current list has A Lantern in Her Hand, Persuasion, Anne of Avonlea, The Importance of Being Earnest, and Little Women. So it looks like two books changed. I'm thinking they must have an update to the guide to reschedule these two changed books.
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 am

Ladies,

We have updated the World Geography guide to reflect the book changes you mentioned, so there is a new edition of the World Geography guide out now. Pride and Prejudice is such a terrific book that I didn't want my boys to miss reading it along with watching the BBC DVD of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. My oldest son read all of the Austen books after first reading (and watching) Pride and Prejudice. It is a wonderful way to experience Austen! 8)

In order to move Pride and Predjudice to the senior year British Literature part of the U.S. II guide, we moved it out of the girl set for World Geography and replaced it with Persuasion. At the same time, Papa's Wife went out of print, so we replaced that particular title with Anne of Avonlea.

The changes make a solid girl set for World Geography and a solid British Lit. set for U.S. History II. :D We are excited about the changes!

My second son is doing Pride and Prejudice now along with the DVDs with U.S. II and really enjoying it! We pray your students will enjoy the readings too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

Carrie wrote:Ladies,

We have updated the World Geography guide to reflect the book changes you mentioned, so there is a new edition of the World Geography guide out now. Pride and Prejudice is such a terrific book that I didn't want my boys to miss reading it along with watching the BBC DVD of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. My oldest son read all of the Austen books after first reading (and watching) Pride and Prejudice. It is a wonderful way to experience Austen! 8)

In order to move Pride and Predjudice to the senior year British Literature part of the U.S. II guide, we moved it out of the girl set for World Geography and replaced it with Persuasion. At the same time, Papa's Wife went out of print, so we replaced that particular title with Anne of Avonlea.

The changes make a solid girl set for World Geography and a solid British Lit. set for U.S. History II. :D We are excited about the changes!

My second son is doing Pride and Prejudice now along with the DVDs with U.S. II and really enjoying it! We pray your students will enjoy the readings too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Carrie,

Will there be an update available to those of us who have the old version of the Guide?

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

Rice

Post by Rice » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Just curious, Carrie, (as a Canadian who has never been able to make myself get farther than a few chapters into the Anne books, but read many other Montgomery books), why did you choose Anne of Avonlea, instead of Anne of Green Gables? (I'm one of those who likes to start a series at the beginning. Should I have my DD read/listen to Anne of GG before hitting the WG guide? :D )

Thanks for including a Canadian author, though! :D

And now I have to find a copy of Papa's Wife, anything you've chosen is worth reading! (I was able to get a copy of the book for MTMM that was replaced by Candy Bomber, which made me really happy since DS had already read Candy Bomber for DITHOR! :D )

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 am

We use Anne of Green Gables in CTC in the girl pack. The Anne books can stand on their own, but if your daughter hasn't read of Anne of Green Gables it is well worth reading! :D Anne of Avonlea includes a more grown-up Anne with all of the thoughts of an older teen/young lady. So, it works great for the WG guide-aged young lady. Anne of Avonlea also has some very funny moments that will make you laugh out loud. :lol: I know I did!!

Blessings,
Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Carrie wrote:We use Anne of Green Gables in CTC in the girl pack. The Anne books can stand on their own, but if your daughter hasn't read of Anne of Green Gables it is well worth reading! :D Anne of Avonlea includes a more grown-up Anne with all of the thoughts of an older teen/young lady. So, it works great for the WG guide-aged young lady. Anne of Avonlea also has some very funny moments that will make you laugh out loud. :lol: I know I did!!

Blessings,
Carrie
Carrie, will an update to the WG literature plans be available for those of us who've recently purchased the guide (before the changes)?
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Lisa,

We updated the plans in our new edition of the WG guide to coordinate with Papa's Wife going out of print. In that way families purchasing the guide were able to get the books that matched the version of the guide that they received. You can still use your guide with the books that were available when you purchased the guide, as those plans and books still work. :D We only use replacement schedules when a guide is still in stock but needs schedule changes to make it work until the guide is reprinted. So in this case there was no replacement schedule. If we made a replacement schedule for every book that went out of print, it would be overwhelming for us and for the customers to know what schedule to use when and with which version of the guide.

Blessings,
Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Carrie,

So I think the question some are having is what would they do if they used Pride and Prejudice with WG when it comes to AH when it is scheduled again? Do you have any suggestions/plans for that scenario? In many cases, families also have younger children. Is there an update for skipping Pride and Prejudice in WG? I don't think people are worried about the other book change. it is the book that is now scheduled twice for their students.
Mom to

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm

Good question! :D With the World Geography guide it is very easy to switch out Pride and Prejudice with Persuasion if desired by simply dividing the number of pages in Persuasion over the number of days Pride and Prejudice is scheduled. This wouldn't work well for literature in any of the other high school guides, as I wrote daily plans to match the readings; but in World Geography the novels alternate with BJU Lit, and so the novels have more general assignments like narration and Common Place Book entries (making the books easy to swap out without affecting the flow of the plans). :D Anne of Avonlea can also be switched for Papa's Wife just as easily. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Carrie wrote:Good question! :D With the World Geography guide it is very easy to switch out Pride and Prejudice with Persuasion if desired by simply dividing the number of pages in Persuasion over the number of days Pride and Prejudice is scheduled. This wouldn't work well for literature in any of the other high school guides, as I wrote daily plans to match the readings; but in World Geography the novels alternate with BJU Lit, and so the novels have more general assignments like narration and Common Place Book entries (making the books easy to swap out without affecting the flow of the plans). :D Anne of Avonlea can also be switched for Papa's Wife just as easily. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Oh, this is perfect! :) I hadn't realized that they could so easily be substituted and still carry on the same flow for the literature in WG. Great planning, Carrie! Thank you!! ;)
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Glad2Bsaved

Post by Glad2Bsaved » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm

My daughter just completed WG and read Pride and Prejudice. When she gets to AH-2, will she read it again since the Guide's instructions go with that book?