Former dropout thinking about coming back to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

Former dropout thinking about coming back to HOD

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 am

Hello everyone!

We have used HOD in the past. I started my oldest with LHFHG, we moved to Beyond, and then started Bigger. I don't think we finished any of the guides. We started Bigger for his fourth grade year (2015-2016) and once again, got so behind and ended up never getting past week 10 or so. (I think we almost completely finished Beyond?) I was discouraged with his lack of progress in almost every subject so we took this year (2016-2017), his 5th grade year to really focus on basics. We've switched to Study Time Arithmetic (he is doing the 4th grade book - believe me when I say we've been through the ringer with math curriculum), Climbing to Good English (3rd grade book, similar to the Rod and Staff books, but workbook style), and are doing SCM Spelling Wisdom. He is still working through Cheerful Cursive (almost done!), a Pathway reader and a comprehension workbook. I read to them from The Child's Story Bible everyday and I add some art study or missionary study or poetry to our morning times. He attempted IEW with a homeschool coop this year and we did not have great results. I am concerned that he is not advancing. I'm sure he is, but when I think ahead to preparing him for high school, I am concerned that he places so behind in the guides that he won't make it there. Next year I am contemplating either Preparing or CtC for him, OR finding a literature based history/geography course for him and sticking with the basics we've established and adding in more notebooking. This would require more prep and planning on my end which feels a bit overwhelming at this point. I would like to get him on a good reading schedule again with good lists. I can't keep up with keeping him supplied with good books it feels like. We have DITHOR and have also attempted that in the past. We've made it through a few genres. He needs so much hand holding, that it just took us forever to get through all the boxes and DITHOR.

My dd is two years younger and has dabbled in HOD. I really struggled with whether to combine or not to combine her with her older brother in the past. I chose to combine them and it ended up being ok sometimes and not at other times. She has been going through similar basics to my oldest ds this year. She is also in Climbing to good English 3 and is going through a Critical Thinking math workbook grade 3. She is technically 3rd grade so is right on level with her age. She was in Right Start Math level C but the time involvement for me to teach it was too intense so I had to switch her for my own sanity. She enjoyed the curriculum otherwise and was sad to switch. She does like the independence of the new workbook. I need to figure out what we will do with her math in 4th grade. I would love to switch her to Study Time since it is so straightforward, has great review, and promotes independence, but I truly hate switching her again.

Adding to the puzzle is my next ds, (5). We did some simple Pre-k with him this year, including LHTH (which shockingly we have not finished...ahem). I plan on keeping his school work as simple as possible since my capacity is so limited. We are working through Rod and Staff A-B-C workbooks and I will add handwriting and Spunky Math next year. I would like to keep his day heavy with read-alouds, but that takes planning. (c:

Lastly, I have a toddler and am expecting a baby in August (number 5!). I am not a type A, planner, scheduled person, so I am been really working on finding a homeschool curriculum that compliments my personality and doesn't leave me (or the kids) feeling frustrated and defeated. Because my capacity to really teach and spend individual time with each of them is limited and my oldest has such a hard time doing work on his own, (it has been getting a little bit better this year with the math and grammar switches) and because I have other children to teach and attend to, I am nervous to attempt to start another guide and fail to get through it, if that makes sense. I don't want my oldest ds to get too behind for high school courses. My daughter is on track, but I don't know if I should combine them (for my ease) and have him be "behind" for the high school courses. I would love for school to be a joy for them. I miss reading good books to learn history and geography. I miss doing our nature studies.

All that to say:
1. How would you encourage, or discourage if need be, a former HOD drop out? Should we risk trying and failing again?
2. Should I combine my two oldest in Preparing and add extra work if needed for my oldest DS and ignore that fact that he would be working two guides behind his age?
3. My oldest DS will turn 11 this summer and and technically be in 6th grade. He is learning to write through the Climbing to Good English 3rd grade book, and doing math at a 4th grade level. He reads well, but too quickly so he skips and doesn't pronounce big words correctly. (he guesses them :). I'm not sure if I should skip to CtC for him since he didn't finish Bigger or do Preparing.
4. My DD is turning 9 next month and will be technically in 4th grade in the fall. She will be working at a forth grade level by then.
5. We do basic school subjects in the summer like math and reading and usually some nature study.
6. If I don't combine my two oldest, will I be increasing the chances that we will fail to get through the guides again simply because I cannot spend that much individual time with each of them?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Sara
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

Rice

Re: Former dropout thinking about coming back to HOD

Post by Rice » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 am

queenireneof3 wrote:
1. How would you encourage, or discourage if need be, a former HOD drop out? Should we risk trying and failing again?
2. Should I combine my two oldest in Preparing and add extra work if needed for my oldest DS and ignore that fact that he would be working two guides behind his age?
3. My oldest DS will turn 11 this summer and and technically be in 6th grade. He is learning to write through the Climbing to Good English 3rd grade book, and doing math at a 4th grade level. He reads well, but too quickly so he skips and doesn't pronounce big words correctly. (he guesses them :). I'm not sure if I should skip to CtC for him since he didn't finish Bigger or do Preparing.
4. My DD is turning 9 next month and will be technically in 4th grade in the fall. She will be working at a forth grade level by then.
5. We do basic school subjects in the summer like math and reading and usually some nature study.
6. If I don't combine my two oldest, will I be increasing the chances that we will fail to get through the guides again simply because I cannot spend that much individual time with each of them?
Sara
Here's a few thoughts:
2 - That would be my best suggestion. It sounds like Preparing would be the best placement for your son. Both kids would have a number of subjects daily that they can learn to do independently/semi-indpenedently (Independent History, Science, reading, etc.) so you'll have some time then to fit in some time with your 5yo; and you can even start your son doing more than that independently as the year goes on (CTC has them do Reading About History independently, as well). Preparing is for ages 8-10 with extensions for 11 to 12yos so your son actually places well there. It would be up to you if you add the Extensions for him to read as well - I would suggest having him read at least some of them. They're EXCELLENT books! ;) If the reading load ends up too heavy for him you can spread some out and use the others as family read-alouds.
As for finishing all the guides, the later middle school guides are High-School worthy, so if that puts him in Rev2Rev for 9th and MTMM for 10th, he might not finish the last 2 guides, but will still be fine for High School credits. (FWIW, my oldest won't finish the last 3 guides! - although we are adjusting LA, Math and Sciences to have him at [or at least closer to] grade level for those.)

4 - It sounds like Preparing would be logical placement for your DD as well. Preparing makes a good 4th grade year for most average students. It sounds like she's ready for it.

I agree with your plan to concentrate on the 3Rs and read alouds for your 5yo for K. That's what I do, too. I start LHFHG for 1st grade and intentionally allow it to take through Sept of Grade 2, so we switch guides at different times of the school year for each child (more time to finish well, give them a short break and start half speed while the others are doing what's familiar ;) ). (LHFHG through Bigger all take us 13+ calendar months - with 2 off for summer break.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22 am

One other thing to consider is if it is possible to mentally hold your son back a year, thinking of him as fifth grade instead of sixth. He is at the very young end of the grade level for most areas (Sept 1 cut off), and with bits, they are often better served being near the older age for school. My husband was held back academically for this reasons (Match birthday). His parents kept him with his age peers at church, etc, but he knew he was a grade behind academically.
I also think putting them both in Preparing might be wise. If you want to take some things off your plate, I would recommend getting CHOW as an audible book. We are using it now, it I like it! Reading aloud isn't a strong suit for me, so the less I have to read, the better. I still sit with my daughter, but you could have one follow along in the book and possibly buy the Kindle book for the other (it highlights the words as it reads, which might help your son slow down his reading). Have them listen while you care for the baby in the same room.
I would also make a concerted effort to complete things. I think it would really help everyone to be focused, knowing what is expected each week.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you Rice and StephanieU!

I do think my son fits best into the Preparing guide. It would definitely help to mentally hold him back a grade. :D I never thought of that before! He does not seem quite ready to be a 6th grader. Thanks for that suggestion! I'm technically holding my other ds back since he turns 5 in September, but we are still working on kindergarten work this upcoming year.

Thank you, Rice for the encouragement about using the middle school guides for high school. I was very worried about that. That is super helpful!
Sara Irene
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:54 pm

And, yes, we do need to make an concerted effort to finish things... I feel like part of it is my own character issue and personality. Praying through what would be the best answer to that dilemma :wink: for us.
Sara Irene

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Preparing for your oldest two for sure! It's a great year, will be better for making sure it gets done and is plenty of work for both ages.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG