what to do next year

If you have used "Little Hearts for His Glory", please share your experience with us.
Kaci.a.johnson

what to do next year

Post by Kaci.a.johnson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi there,
We are more than halfway through kindergarten with LHfHG and I am wondering what to do next year. I am new to homeschooling as my oldest is 5 years old and this is her first year. We have loved heart of dakota so we want to do it again next year. Do I do LHFHG again with the first grade material? I know that it will be a lot of repetition and the only thing that will be different are the workbooks but I also don't want to push her too much and start her on BlHFHG next year. Just wondering if anyone has done LHFHG two years in a row and done kindergarten the first year and 1st the second year or if you went straight to BLHFHG. thank you!

StephanieU

Re: what to do next year

Post by StephanieU » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Is LHFHG going well? When will she be 6?
Normally you don't want to repeat a guide (outside of LHTH). What many people do is slow down to 3-4 days a week, spreading out the early guides, if they start at 5yo with LHFHG.
Many find the history starting in Unit 19 a little more challenging in LHFHG, so that is a good time to slow down some, add in some fun extension ideas (there are book suggestions in the appendix for example. You would continue the phonics, math, and fine motor skills/handwriting daily. So you would move into first grade options with those before completing LHFHG. Then, when you finish LHFHG, start Beyond, again doing 3-4 days of the left side a week, and the right side daily (storytime you can do daily or 3-4 times a week).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Kaci.a.johnson

Re: what to do next year

Post by Kaci.a.johnson » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Thank you so much for your response. She turns 6 in September so I feel like she is a little on the younger side for kindergarten. We are on week 23 this week and I am finding it harder for her to grasp the history concepts so it might be a good idea to slow it down. I love that with homeschooling. Love that you can tailor your child's education and slow down when you need to. Thanks again!!