Placement for special needs high school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arrowhomeacademy

Placement for special needs high school

Post by arrowhomeacademy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Considering HOD for next year. I am struggling to find the right placement for ds (almost 16). His reading and writing are significantly below grade level. Math is below grade level as well. He has dyslexia, disgraphia, asperger's, expressive language disorder, and anxiety. I want to challenge him but he gets easily overwhelmed and discouraged. According to the placement chart I am not even sure he can handle MTMM. He is not college bound. I am just trying to find something he might enjoy more than what he is doing not (which is mostly some low reading level textbooks, middle school workbooks, and documentaries). Any advice?

Gwenny

Re: Placement for special needs high school

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 am

I just replied to a thread called Bigger or Preparing for special needs that you might be interested in. What I didn't mention was that I read the books to him or he listens to them on Learning Ally or audible. If you have any other questions I can try to answer and there are others on here with children that they have made adjustments for.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:47 am

My daughter (age 15 and 9th/10th grade...she has expressive/receptive language disorder and is mildly autistic...she has very low reading comprehension) has been doing R2R fro the past 2 years. we have been going slow but are now almost up to full speed (she started fall 2015). We are on unit 28 now. We do a lower level grammar (R&S 4) and for dictation we have worked up from saying who the story is about to a little bit about the story, and for written narration we do 6-8 sentences). I also am having her read level 3 books (not really doing DITHOR, just having her read the books to me so she has exposure to a variety of literature). She doing math on level (algebra...but the book will take her almost 2 years to get though). We will be moving up to Rev to Rev sometime in the spring and she will then get get her American history. :)

I would check to see where your child fits and place him/her there ( I debated between CTC and RtR). The middle school guides are fine for a special needs high school student!! We do not use the extension materials as the guide is just where she is at.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 am

Arrowhomeacademy,

The ladies are doing a good job of helping you talk through your options! Since your son has a varying educational needs, I think it would help us advise you better if you can tell us where he places on the placement chart for the first page of the chart mainly. :D Don't worry about your son placing lower than his age level. We definitely want him to be in a guide where he can thrive, rather than one in which he feels he is overloaded every day.

Here is a link to the placement chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

It is possible he may place best in Creation to Christ or Resurrection to Reformation. Don't worry about that if that is where he places. Once you get a chance to look at the chart, please stop back and share so we can talk about options!! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

marybeth33

Post by marybeth33 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that our 15 yo daughter is just finishing Bigger. She thrived there. Making steady progress and enjoying the learning. Do not be afraid of the "grade" he places in. HOD is great at intentionally growing them step by step :-)
Mary Beth