Phonics Question - Dyslexia?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kristen

Phonics Question - Dyslexia?

Post by Kristen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am

This past school year I started LHFHG with my DD6 (in April). We both loved it! She calls it our 'fun school' :D We are really just at the beginning of the guide, we'll start week 5 when we pick back up in August. I have a question about phonics. As seems to be my style, :oops: I have not stuck with one program consistently. I did some of The Reading Lesson, then All About Reading. We initially got AAR because she is showing some of the same signs as her older brother with dyslexia, so I figured I better get a thorough program. But we haven't gotten very far with that. It is very slow going and I feel like the program has so many components, it overwhelms me. Lol. I also had her do some Explode the Code. Like I said, I'm all over the place. That's one of the things I like about HOD, it organizes me and gives me great choices so I don't have to decide. :lol:
I'm going to order her the first grade options for this year as we move forward. She has done both the R&S activity books, Singapore Math A (and is half-way through B so we'll continue), and she can write well. She learned her letters and how to write them very early. She loves books and has actually "written" and illustrated some of her own (I scribed some). She enjoys math. It's just this reading thing. Lol. I'm considering getting Reading Made Easy....I know, another choice...but I just want to get something and stick with it and we can start it now and just keep working. Since it is an HOD choice, I feel comfortable with the pacing and what comes next. AAR has so many levels as well. I fear we'll never get there.
Any opinions on this? By the way, I also have the old version of the LHFHG teacher's manual, but the only thing that changed is the math, right? Since we're using Singapore B we should be right on track....
Thanks ladies!
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts

Gwenny

Re: Phonics Question - Dyslexia?

Post by Gwenny » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:08 pm

If you have a son with dyslexia--it's very possible she could be also. I would stick with AAR.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

lmercon

Re: Phonics Question - Dyslexia?

Post by lmercon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm

I believe that AAR is loosely OG-based, which is a wonderful way for non-dyslexics to learn as well. Honestly, I would stick with that. Go slowly and maybe add in some ETC workbooks if that is fun for her.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!