Beginning high school Science plans....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momxnine

Beginning high school Science plans....

Post by momxnine » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:45 pm

My son, just turned 14 in Dec., will be starting MTMM in the Fall. I'm working on his high school plans. He wants to be done by the time he turns 17, which is almost exactly three years. He isn't college bound, plans to own his own business doing something with engines or cars or something along that line. He is very hands on, does not like reading or writing and he struggles with a lot of the reading in HOD. But we're pushing forward anyway. :D Today I'm trying to figure out his science "agenda" for the next three years.

There seems to be a lot of chemistry and physics.... We did EE Science (advanced) this year, I was planning to do the MTMM chem. this next year, ICP in WG and Biology in WH. After looking at all the guides though and reading comments about chemistry and adding to it and such, I'm wondering if this would work....

Counting EE Science this year for 1/2 credit, 1/2 credit in MTMM for the chemistry (using as written, plus possibly watching the Chem 101 DVD's), 1 credit in WG for ICP (which is also physics and chemistry, thus giving him 2 full credits for physics and chemistry total), then 1 credit for Biology in WH. That is three full credits which is what Missouri requires for public school. Then if needed and if he "wants" to add more, we could add another harder physics course after all of this? Thoughts? Other suggestions?
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016

mom2samlibby

Re: Beginning high school Science plans....

Post by mom2samlibby » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:45 pm

I would either do conceptual physics or see if he wants to do science that last year. If he has the credits in by then and is not college bound, you may decide you are done.
Have used:
Bigger, Preparing, CTC
Son, 17, with dyslexia, doing MtMM with extensions
Daughter, 14, using Rev to Rev with extensions

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:08 pm

EE for us in 9th is counting as "integrated physics and chemistry with lab" since we are doing the advanced version. It's worth a full credit IMO. Definitely more than 1/2. Doing that, you won't need the other ICP course.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:26 am

HOD is written to be a college prep program. If you are certain your son is not college bound, you have freedom to arrange his curriculum according to his individual goals. Perhaps you could consider using EE Advanced for 1 credit of Physical Science as the publisher suggests. This is what I will be doing with my 9th grade son. Then you could give 1 Credit for Chemistry using the method you suggested: "MTMM for the chemistry (using as written, plus possibly watching the Chem 101 DVD's)". There is extra content with the Chem 101 DVD's if you are using it for credit. If you feel you need more to truly give 1 full credit you could use what they provide in any manner you choose in addition to the MTMM content to extend learning in the area of Chemistry to reach your individual goal. Then, you could finish up by using the Biology in WH just as you said. Like so:

Physical Science 1C - EE Advanced
Chemistry 1C - MTMM with Chem 101 DVD's)
Biology 1C - WH Biology PACES

Blessings :)

momxnine

Post by momxnine » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:34 am

Thank you ladies! :)

I'm slowly getting a clearer picture of the direction we need to go. :)
Vicki in SW. MO.
Mom of 9 (ages 14 - 35) and Grammy to 7
14 ds - Finished CTC, RTR and Rev To Rev; MTMM - Fall of 2016