Physical Science Requirement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Physical Science Requirement

Post by LeAnna » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I will have one child in Revival to Revolution, and one in MTMM. Thinking long run, a few of the colleges that I am looking at, require Physical Science for high school. I'm just thinking out loud, but would it be possible to just do the Exploration Education part with my 8th grader, who is in MTMM, just to get that in? For her, I wouldn't do the inventor studies or anything else, just that. She loves science, so I don't think the extra work would bother her. We would just act like it's an elective. Is that a crazy idea? I want to make sure she gets that in, especially if she ends up at a college where it's required. Just to give you a background of where we are at, she just finished up Apologia General Science, so technically she would be going into Physical Science next.
My next thought is, how should I make sure that my 7th grader in Revival to Revolution also can count hers as a high school credit. Should I also have her just do the two extra days?
On the website for Exploration Education, it says that the Advanced set is 1 high school credit worthy, also with 40 lab hours. Are there those out there that are doing this, and how are you writing down the lab hours?
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

StephanieU

Re: Physical Science Requirement

Post by StephanieU » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:15 pm

The science in the World Geography guide can also easily be called physical science. So, I would look at what sciences that would have when they graduate before changing anything. Then decide what, if any, you want to change.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:51 pm

I noticed that it says Chemistry and Physics. What does Carrie recommend that you write down for this? Is it Physical Science? And with the lab?
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

The difference is often semantics between IPS and physical science. The same exact course can often be labeled either way. In general, IPC doesn't have the earth science that SOME physical science classes have, and instead there is more chemistry. But, many physical science texts cover the same things as texts titled IPC. The science in WG is a lab science, and if your state wants physical science, it is perfectly reasonable to label it as that.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)