Tennessee HOD families

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christina32344

Tennessee HOD families

Post by christina32344 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi,

My family and I may be relocating to Tennessee and I was wondering how do children there fair on the required standardized tests? Did you have to supplement or use a practice tool to prepare them. In Florida it is not required so my daughter has never taken a single standardized test.

Thank you
Christina
LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG,PHFHG, now CTC- daughter age 11
LHTH-son age 3

Samuel'sMommy

Re: Tennessee HOD families

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 am

I am in Tennessee. You only have to take standardized tests in 5th grade, 7th grade, and high school if you register directly with the county. Some umbrella schools require them more often. We registered with the county at first but for the last 2 years we have umbrellaed under Home Life Academy because they do not require testing at all.

My son was going through a phase where even his math tests at home were stressing him out so I did not want to put him through the stress of standardized tests. Home Life does offer info on testing at home so last year I had him test at home on the computer through Seton Testing just so I could get an idea of where he stood. He was at or above grade level in all subjects and it was good practice for him to know how standardized tests are set up and that they are not as scary as they seem. We are going to continue with Home Life so will not need to test but I may have him do it through Seton every couple of years just to see how he's doing.

Let me know if you have other questions about homeschooling in TN and I will be happy to answer them. Where are you moving too? We are near Knoxville.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Thank you for your help. We are still determining if the move is more beneficial for our family rather than staying put. If we do make it to Tennessee we will be in the Pigeon Forge area.
Christina
LHTH-son age 3

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:18 pm

We are almost exactly halfway between Pigeon Forge & Knoxville. If you do head this way, let me know and I can give you info on homeschool groups in the area. There are lots to choose from! Also, several of the attractions/fun things in Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg give local discounts for Sevier County residents and/or homeschool discounts. There are some great perks living in this area! Plus, the mountains are great for nature study!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:27 pm

So glad to hear that there are homeschool groups there. We love the one we are part of now and hate to leave them, but at least if we do I now know there are some near the new area.
Christina
LHTH-son age 3

jackieb

Post by jackieb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:59 am

I'm so glad to have found this post! We will be new to HOD next month and are just South of Nashville. :D
Jackie in TN
Married for 21 years to my love, mother to DS 21, DD 16, DD 14, and DS 11.
Loving Jesus for over 20 years!

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 am

I'm in Nashville too!
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter