MTMM for partial high school credit - our scenerio

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jjn3beans

Re: MTMM for partial high school credit - our scenerio

Post by jjn3beans » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Carrie, my state requires 3 lab sciences. Does this lineup you've suggested take care of 3 lab sciences?
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:53 pm

This would actually be 4 lab sciences.

Blessings,
Carrie

momto3girls

Post by momto3girls » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Carrie wrote:Tabitha,

I just wanted to pop-in and mention that you can award a full credit for the history in MTMM. :D At the time I wrote the older thread on beefing up MTMM, the MTMM guide was brand new. Since we were not fully into writing the high school guides at that point, nor had I gone far enough through high school with my own son to truly know what could be awarded as high school credit, we were erring on the very cautious side with our advice on how to claim high school credit.

As we have traveled further down the high school path now, and I have had to be immersed in justifying credits for transcript purposes, I can see that the MTMM history is worth a full high school credit in history. So, you can definitely claim a full credit in American History for completing MTMM. If you do desire to do so though, I would probably not claim .5 credit in Economics, but instead save that to do in a later guide. There is not enough high school level economics in MTMM to claim .5 credit in it unless you added to it. :D You could potentially add to the economics credit later to round it out and then award the credit in the year she finished the study.

Blessings,
Carrie
Carrie, just wondering...is the full credit with or without the extension?

Tabitha, no advice from me :) but I wanted to let you know that I took a moment to pray for you this evening that God would give you wisdom and lighten the burden of this decision.
~~Jenny~~
Wife to Andrew for 21 years
Mom to...

dd15 - HOD next year :-)
dd13 - Res. to Ref.
dd9 - Preparing

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:05 am

Thank you, Carrie, for all your help.

I also apologize for the delay in coming back here. Once we left for our camping trip out west, our cell phone roaming was null and wifi at our stops proved to be the same despite campgrounds offering the service. I didn't get back on grid until arriving home Monday evening.

Thanks again!
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 am

Tabitha, no advice from me :) but I wanted to let you know that I took a moment to pray for you this evening that God would give you wisdom and lighten the burden of this decision.
Thank you, Jenny.

While things are not as I had thought they'd be as far as what classes would be on her transcript for each grade, with all the insight here and help from Carrie, things are working out better than I was expecting. I am thankful past work can count more than I realized it could. I am hopeful my anxiety will fully settle once I have everything graded from MTMM. I wasn't expecting the need to grade it at the point that my dd completed it, so didn't.

Our remaining hurdle is wrapping up the WG now that we are home from our 2 1/2 week camping trip. Dd gets carsick, so she was only able to complete a fraction of the work I had brought along for her to do. The interstates were filled with waves and bumps 75% of the trip. It was pretty miserable driving. It is nice to be back home.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:40 pm

It might also work to consider arranging your transcript by subject instead of by grade. If you are able to put "Mathematics: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2," eg, it won't matter as much when they were completed.

Another thing you might consider is labeling your math "Secondary math 1." It sounds kind of lame, but some programs and schools are doing this. It lets them get away from only covering one main topic all year, so they can, eg, do some algebra and some geometry. But it might help solve your problem. As long as she winds up with the basic courses over time, I don't think there's a problem with this.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned when I skimmed the responses is the lower English credit. Most colleges only require 3 years of math, 2 or 3 of science, and 2.5 or 3 of history/social studies, but many require 4 years of English. You may need to add another half credit there, to make up for only having half a credit in 9th grade.
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Thank you.

Dd covered R&S 6 for MTMM. That wasn't divided over 2 years since she skipped Rev to Rev. Also, we are planning to cover English through the end of R&S 8. She will be doing 3 or more English lessons a week through the next 2 guides to ensure the 8th book is fully completed. This makes sure English is well covered.

For her math while I am not thrilled with Pre-Algebra for high school, that is what 9th will be. After digesting that for several weeks, I've stopped stressing and more at peace with it. Math is not her favorite. She persevered, we covered it well with 2 curriculums. If anyone wants to probe after seeing it on her transcript, I am ready to answer for the math path we/she took. In the course description I will add in that an intro to Algebra was covered during 9th as well. 10th as Algebra 1, mentioning all that was used. 11th as Geometry, for this coming year. 12th as Algebra 2, next year Lord willing. I will look into the Secondary Math suggestion and see how that fits, and what all that heading is typically used to cover. I hadn't heard of that before.

I think I will compile a transcript each way, year/grade and subject, and see which calls to me. I do prefer the grade look. I only just recently saw a by subject example. I didn't know they were also done that way.

Thanks again! I appreciate all the insight.