Storytime with kids in multiple books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

Storytime with kids in multiple books

Post by jacynamommy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 am

As I'm preparing a schedule for this year, I'm overhwelmed as my kids get older and I have more to teach! :oops: I have 2 that will be in Res To Ref. I have one that is beginning Bigger and one that is in Little Hearts (plus a 3 year old). All 3 guides have storytime...and I just don't see any way I can get through 3 separate storytimes on top of everything else. Last year, I just read storytime aloud from the books we were reading in CTC and my younger ones were in and out, hearing some but not all of the book. Again this year, I'm wondering about just reading the books for storytime from Res To Ref and hoping the younger ones hear parts of it and not doing storytime in both of the other guides. Any suggestions here on how others balance the storytime out? Thanks!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

StephanieU

Re: Storytime with kids in multiple books

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 am

With, Bigger, I have been able to find 7 of the 9 books as audio books at our library. That way my daughter can listen while I work int he kitchen or on laundry. The Burgess books might also be available on audio (and I know the Potter stories are) for LHFHG.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 am

I don't have 3 different storytimes, only 2, but I suggest moving one of them to lunchtime {to read while they eat}, and one of them to evenings {maybe before bed, or after dinner}. I read Reddy Fox in the mornings to my 5 year old, and we do so much reading during school, that we do the story time for Bigger in the afternoons {outside} or in the evening. Hope that helps!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:12 am

My oldest took over the storytime box halfway through CTC. If I were you I would have the ones in Res to Ref read their own storytime books and read separately to the ones in Bigger and Little Hearts. The storytime books in the upper guides are not really appropriate for younger kids due to historical content. Little Hearts and Bigger Storytime skills are perfect for the target ages.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks for the ideas ladies, I appreciate the input!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:28 pm

rodandmegs wrote: don't have 3 different storytimes, only 2, but I suggest moving one of them to lunchtime {to read while they eat},
Ok, I'm NOT being critical just honestly curious and really, really wondering about this...I have read others suggesting this very thing on other boards as a time when books could be read... ok, just how on earth...so when does MOM get to eat!! ?

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:46 pm

kidsforHim wrote:
rodandmegs wrote: don't have 3 different storytimes, only 2, but I suggest moving one of them to lunchtime {to read while they eat},
Ok, I'm NOT being critical just honestly curious and really, really wondering about this...I have read others suggesting this very thing on other boards as a time when books could be read... ok, just how on earth...so when does MOM get to eat!! ?
I feed the children first, then wait and eat with my husband since he usually comes home for lunch. Sad to say, but some days that is the only time we have to talk. It gives the children 20 minutes or so to run around and burn energy or finish chires. I do realize this option wouldn't work for every family.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:17 pm

I usually feed my kids first and after they clean up, they go have quiet time. That is when I eat! I like to eat in peace and quiet, usually reading. That is what works for me, but everybody is different!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:37 pm

I eat first at our house! Ha ha! When I've had enough of school for the morning, I send them all out to play. I eat lunch and quietly read a book (right now I'm reading the RTR history books). It is my favorite time of the day! Then I call the kids in and read to them from the Bigger and/or Preparing storytime while they eat (my youngest has just started Bigger). The hardest part is having the will-power to end my lunchtime to start theirs...

As for how I handle storytime, my oldest reads her own in RTR. She has done that since the beginning of CTC. She is a good, fast reader, though. I'm sure I won't be able to have my second child read her storytime when she gets to CTC.

If your older two are capable of it, I would have them read their own storytime, and then do the Bigger and LHFHG storytimes for everyone at lunch. The LHFHG storytime is quick and easy.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:49 pm

I have tried reading at lunch, but usually while I'm eating too...and that obviously just doesn't work well! We try to have lunch as a family when my husband comes home on his break, so I'm not thrilled with the idea of foregoing family lunch. My oldest 2 really enjoy me reading aloud to them, and while they're both capable of reading it on their own, I really feel like at this stage, the read alouds are one of the few books I actually get to read with them, as I just can't keep up with all their history and science books with all the other kiddos. So I'm just kind of stuck...guess we'll just go with it and see how it works out! :lol:
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Yes, a family lunch with Dad is special - I wouldn't want to give that up either. It's a bit of a shame for the youngers to miss out on storytime, though. I had a few other ideas:

- continue reading RTR stories to the older two, and then also have a shared storytime for the younger two - either from LHFHG, or Bigger (using easier books possibly from the Beyond sets)
or
- do as above except have one of your older children read Thornton Burgess books to the younger ones (or have the older ones alternate reading to the youngers)
or

- have the older two read their own RTR storytime, and then do a general storytime for all 4 kids using Bigger-level books from a set that is new to everyone.
or

- alternate: read an RTR book and when that is done read a whole book to the youngers while your older ones read their own book. Then read the following book from the RTR set.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:41 am

A few things I have done is set the timer for 10 minutes when reading to my older dc who are doing CTC or RTR, and when it rings, they finish the reading. In doing this, my oldest politely asked if he could just read the books on his own :shock: , as he retains it better and loves to read. :D I let him! The focus at that point is not the reading, as older dc can usually read well - it is more the follow-up skills. My middle ds enjoyed the 10 minutes and then was happy to finish it out. :D With my youngest, I have my older sons occasionally take a turn reading to him and doing the follow-up skills. The reading aloud in the younger guides does not take much time at all, and I guess I feel it is more important, as they are still developing as readers - it helps better develop their listening and reading comprehension. I have also read to my youngest first thing in the morning cuddled up in my bed, which he loved. I occasionally would do it at night as well, but then the follow-up skills were harder to do, and I have found them to be integral in developing strong LA CM habits of narrating well. As any book can be used for some of the guides (i.e. Beyond..., Bigger...), choosing a shorter book that still matches the genre is another time saver. I think what helps me make the time is seeing how important the skills begin taught are, and how each year builds upon those skills from guide to guide. Storytime isn't just a read-aloud book; it is an important part of the plans that has specific skills attached to it that the next guide is assuming dc have intact. This fuels me on to find time in our busy life for this! :D But the things I mentioned already are certainly 'helps' I take advantage of to save time! HTH!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jacynamommy

Post by jacynamommy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:21 am

Ladies, thank you so much for your responses and causing me to really think over all this. I am thinking of having my husband do the read-aloud time with the younger 2 when he is home on his lunch break. He doesn't get much opportunity to be involved much with the kids' school time, so this may be a great opportunity for that as well as great daddy time! When he is not able, my older children or I can fill in. I like the idea of reading aloud to my older kids for a set amount of time and then allowing them to finish reading it on their own. That still allows me to be involved, yet provides a little more freedom in my schedule. Feeling blessed from all your support and responses. Thank you!
Meredith

Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond