How do I "beef up" Little hands for kindergarten?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mjlamarche

How do I "beef up" Little hands for kindergarten?

Post by mjlamarche » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I'm using Little Hands for my "just turned 5 yr old" and want to start with a phonics or simple math in addition to what the guide has. I'm nervous Little Hands will be too easy for her since she's gone through 2 yrs of private preK and is pretty smart but I don't want to push her since she's so young. I do want to start with simple math and reading though. Sight words or something? What have you done?
thanks so much!

StephanieU

Re: How do I "beef up" Little hands for kindergarten?

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Fit reading, I would pick whatever phonics program you want to use. The two suggested by HOD have pacing suggestions in them based on age. And you can modify that as desired. The count on me pages in LHTH will be a good challenge. You can add in simple addition, money, shapes, etc as well, working with hands on things. If you feel you need more, you could always by the LHFHG guide and start the K math in that slowly, doing it on days that Count on Me isn't scheduled.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi! I also have a just turned 5 yr old who is using LHTH for sort of a split between prek and kinder.

For math we are using the Singapore math from LHFHG--including her hands on activities (we had the guide from our first son). It is very gentle and he is enjoying it.
We have started The Reading Lesson for phonics--it's great for young children (that's also on the LHFHG page...though you don't need the guide of it).
I went ahead and bought the Rod and Staff fine motor skills books from LHFHG and also the K handwriting book...but my little wiggly guy isn't really to sit still that long. We'll try again in a few months.

My hope is to use LHTH for Kinder (or at least most of it) and then LHFHG for 1st. So we'll use LHTH but add the kinder math and fine motor skills/handwriting and phonics from LHFHG. Then, for 1st, we'll use the LHFHG guide and add first grade options for LA and math.

Hope that made sense! :-)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:35 pm

hs.mama07 wrote:So we'll use LHTH but add the kinder math and fine motor skills/handwriting and phonics from LHFHG. Then, for 1st, we'll use the LHFHG guide and add first grade options for LA and math.
This is what I would do as well. Also depending on your child's readiness, you could add storytime from LHFHG and then next year when they get to LHFHG use the Beyond storytime since you will need the Beyond guide for the math activities anyway. There are 3 storytime sets for Beyond so once you got to it for real you could redo the storytime box with completely different books. Does that make sense?
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Samuel'sMommy wrote:
Also depending on your child's readiness, you could add storytime from LHFHG and then next year when they get to LHFHG use the Beyond storytime since you will need the Beyond guide for the math activities anyway. There are 3 storytime sets for Beyond so once you got to it for real you could redo the storytime box with completely different books. Does that make sense?
That is such a good idea...I've never considered that! My little guy isn't ready for fine motor skills, but he can listen to stories for a long time! We might have to give it a try! :-D

mjlamarche

Post by mjlamarche » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 pm

totally makes sense, thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm going with K math essentials (singapore), The Reading Lesson, and Reason for Handwriting in addition to LHTH.

This way my 3 yr old has something to do along with my K student but she has a few extra things to do.

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:53 pm

This year I tried beefing up little hands for my 5 yo Kindergarten student. Looking back, I think it would have been better to start LHFHG and just go half speed. Of course you know your child the best but I found that with my daughter, LHTH was just too simple and geared more for preschool. If it were me, and I could do it again, I would do LHFHG half speed for the Left hand side of the page, and I would just do A Reason for Handwriting K, Rod and Staff workbooks, and the math activities in the guide - the hands on parts, not the math workbooks.

mjlamarche

Post by mjlamarche » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 pm

gardenmama28 wrote:This year I tried beefing up little hands for my 5 yo Kindergarten student. Looking back, I think it would have been better to start LHFHG and just go half speed. Of course you know your child the best but I found that with my daughter, LHTH was just too simple and geared more for preschool. If it were me, and I could do it again, I would do LHFHG half speed for the Left hand side of the page, and I would just do A Reason for Handwriting K, Rod and Staff workbooks, and the math activities in the guide - the hands on parts, not the math workbooks.
Now this thought never crossed my mind. I'll have to think about that one! Thank you!