Rod and Staff English

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Rod and Staff English

Post by LeAnna » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:43 am

I'm looking at using English 3, at full speed with my 4th grader; English 4 at full speed with my 6th grader; and English 5, half-full speed depending on skill, with my 7th grader. Does this sound like a good plan? We have not had diagramming previously, so I want to make sure before I buy. :D With this English, do I need another writing program, or can it easily stand on its own? Thanks!
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

MelInKansas

Re: Rod and Staff English

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:35 pm

If you've looked at the levels and where you think your kids are at, then you probably placed them correctly. I will say that R&S does a lot of review, so for the older ones you could maybe push them up if you wanted to, but it will build a really strong foundation for them. This is just grammar (HOD only suggests using their grammar) so writing is separate and you would need a different program for that. Depending on which guide you are using, look at the writing recommended for that first, tweak it if needed.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Rod and Staff English is a complete English program which contains grammar and writing. HOD does add in extra writing components throughout the guides. :wink:
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:13 pm

A formal writing program will come in when you get to CTC.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:01 am

My understanding is that while R&S has some writing in it, it is not a writing program (as in learn to write creatively, etc). Obviously grammar is a big part of writing and as part of the assignments you write sentences, letters, and paragraphs. But it is not focussed on writing primarily. I am not sure if R&S has another writing program, I know they also have reading and other subjects they sell separately.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am

Which level of HOD do you plan to use. As many of the other posters have mentioned, starting in CTC, HOD schedules a second writing program. While R&S does a great job with some topics for writing, it would be a bit weak if it was the only creative writing completed. So you will want to make sure that you also order in the creative writing program that is in the level of HOD that you are using as well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Preparing also has some creative writing in the Poetry assignments. :)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics