Chapter book suggestions for my 7yo girl

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gardenmama28

Chapter book suggestions for my 7yo girl

Post by gardenmama28 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:56 pm

My seven year old is crazy about horses and I'm looking for suggestions of good quality horse chapter books for her. Also, what other series of chapter books are highly recommended for girls her age???? We have several of the Boxcar children books, and also the Little House on the prairie series..... What else can you recommend to me??? Nothing at a very high reading level as she has just taken off with her reading and of course I don't want her reading anything with more mature themes at this young age.

StephanieU

Re: Chapter book suggestions for my 7yo girl

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Are these for her to read or for you to read to her? If they are for her to read, what kinds of books is she reading now?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:20 pm

These are for her to read. Right now she is reading the Boxcar children books - it takes her only a day or two to get through one. Earlier she had some chapter books from the library that were similar in length/difficulty. She also read the first book of the Grandma's attic series and enjoyed that one. We were at the library today and I just didn't recognize many of the series there. I want her to read good quality books that don't have bad attitudes, etc.

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Fri May 22, 2015 9:44 pm

My horse loving daughter has enjoyed several books by Margerite Henry. They are good quality and she devours them each time I give her another! I'm not sure if they will be too hard at this point for your child or not but it's worth a look.
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Not horse based, but the Imagination Station books are a bit with my daughter. She is learning a lot of history from them, which is nice. HOD also has a book list available for $5 which might be worth adding to an order. We have enjoyed many of those books.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 am

My youngest dd devours books! She also LOVES horses. From the library, she has read almost all of the Magic Ponies books. She also read the book King of the Wind. Most of the horse books out there though I have found to be difficult for her to read. So I read them to her. Other books she has loved are several more of the Burgess books. After finishing Little Hearts this year, she fell in love with those books. I jumped on Amazon and ordered 12 more! She loves them. I also own the Level 2 and 3 book pack. Her brother and her are both splitting those book packs up between each other for DITHOR. She has read most of the books he is going to read. She recently just read Stone Fox. That is such a good book but I must warn you, it is a little sad in the end. But she read that book super fast. She will even read some of the books from the older book pack as well. My youngest dd mainly likes to read about animals or people. She has read several of the "I am....." series. She read I am Helen Keller and I am William Shakespeare. She read the book Fanny Crosbey from level 4/5 books. She also loved Louise Braille - that was in the Level 3 book pack. Finally - she loves the picture books from the library too. Those are so fast. I constantly catch her and my son snuggled up on the couch together, reading them outloud to each other :-) It is very precious. One particular series she is reading through right now is done by Madeleine Dunphy. The books she is reading now is Here Is the Tropical Rain Forest. But there are 7 books in all (I think). There is one about the Arctic Winter, Aftrican Savanna, Coral Reef, Southwestern Desert, Wetlands and there are one or two more. I also highly recommend the $5 book list. I have used it several times already. One bad thing with the book list is that most of the titles on it aren't at my library. However, most of the titles on it are Christian and available on amazon for cheap. I love that Carrie created a list of books that includes God because my library doesn't have many Christian titles at all and having my kids read Christian books is very important to me.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Sat May 23, 2015 11:09 am

My horse obsessed daughter recommends 'Pony Pals'. She says they're about 100 pages and an easy read. She may enjoy the Animal Ark series, theres a few horse ones. Circle C series is about horses and Christian, with various reading levels. She says she may enjoy 'Saddle Club', 'Wildwood Stables' and 'Winnie the Horse Gentler' When she's older. The Winnie series is Christian.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Sat May 23, 2015 1:00 pm

I second all of the suggestions directly above this! My daughter has enjoyed them all as well!
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun May 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Off the top of My head...Misty Of Chincoteague, King Of The Wind,, The Black Stallion, Seabiscuit, Black beauty, and Anything my Margurite Henry
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)