Strange question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

Strange question

Post by snadig » Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 am

Ladies,

My question is off topic regarding school, but does anyone mill their own flour? I am thinking about getting a grain mill, but I don't know much about them or on getting grain. I make our own bread, but just buy a lot of flour from the store. :D

If you all have time, I would love to hear from you bakers.
Stacey

Is it really better to mill it yourself? The mills are pretty expensive.
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Jennymommy

Re: Strange question

Post by Jennymommy » Fri May 15, 2015 10:27 am

Hey Stacey, if you are looking for health benefits, also look into einkorn wheat, and read up on mold inhibitors and sprouting inhibitors sprayed on grains during storage. Look for "clean grains" and try to avoid newer hybrids as they just aren't digested well. Grinding your own can be a great way to avoid rancid oils and preserve nutrients, but really, the nutrients are hard to get anyway unless you are soaking and/or sprouting first, in which case a good blender will do the trick for less money. HTH 8)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri May 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Oh interesting! You can soak and sprout and then put it into a blender?! I have a cuisinart, would that work?

I keep making the bread recipe that was in one of the guides.... LHFHG or Beyond. I use store bought flour but have heard great things about freshly ground flour.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Fri May 15, 2015 2:41 pm

I found a good tutorial on passionate homemaking online. Several of my family members use the vitamix for their grains. Due to severe gluten issues, I can no longer eat most grains :cry: I used to love making bread..
I'm getting to be pretty creative with non gluten, non yeast baking :wink:

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi there, my in-laws are really into grinding their own wheat so have given all their children wheat grinders as wedding gifts. :D The one I have is a Nutri-Mill. It works well. However it is very loud compared to others that I think are called either whisper-mill or wonder mill or something like that.

I usually make bread and pancakes with whole grain flour that I grind. One day I was out of wheat so I used "whole-wheat flour" from the store. My husband asked me why I used white flour to make the pancakes. So there is a huge difference between your standard whole wheat flour from the store, and the stuff you grind yourself! :wink:

My mother in law buys her grain from a company called Azure, but I don't know if that is a nation wide company or only in the northwest.