Singapore math us editions vs standard editions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rmdelhaye

Singapore math us editions vs standard editions

Post by Rmdelhaye » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Does anyone have input regarding which Singapore edition is more recommended? I know heart of Dakota's website shows the us edition, but I am considering using the standard edition. I wonder if the daily guide/lessons will work with either?

Nealewill

Re: Singapore math us editions vs standard editions

Post by Nealewill » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 pm

You would need to develop your own plan. It probably wouldn't be terribly hard necessarily but the plans in the back align directly with the US edition that they sell.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Also note that the standards edition is going out of print. IN the near future, Singapore will only be printing the US edition and the Common Core edition.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rmdelhaye

Post by Rmdelhaye » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks for the comments. I did talk to someone at Singapore math. They said they recommend the standards edition because it comes with a more detailed home instructors guide than the us edition, making it easier to teach. Any experience in that area?

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:18 pm

I use the Standard Edition and like it very much. I have 6A in the US Edition, but all the rest are Standard. The Home Instruction Guide is MUCH better for the Standard Edition in my opinion.
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:27 am

Carrie had these comments in comparing Standards to U.S. Edition...

We have corresponded personally with the writers at Singapore, and they have really hustled to get the new "Standards Edition" out to get on the California list of approved math texts. So, with that in mind, we still prefer the more solidly developed "U.S. Edition" which they will continue to publish and offer as well. They also still offer the previous Singapore version that was published 7 years ago (prior to the U.S. version), so they are in no hurry to get rid of the U.S. Edition. :D We won't be changing to the Standards Based version as it is more workbook, more drill, and less of what originally made Singapore different.

Here are a few more comments Carrie made in regard to this topic...

The new standards-based edition is very similar to the U.S. edition as far as 1A/1B, and 2A/2B goes. There are some changes of moving concepts down in 3A/3B and 4A/4B from the higher guides (not to match standardized testing) but to match some state standards of early introduction of concepts.

With the additional pages for review added, both the pace at which the assignments now need to be completed and the number of pages/problems that must be completed (to finish the book in a year) really change the overall feel of the original program. :wink:

If you have a mathy child who doesn't mind doing multiple pages of workbook daily then he/she will be fine with the new edition. Or, if you were a parent who added in extra practice, extra word problems etc. to Singapore, then the Standards Edition would work well for you!

However, one of the things that made Singapore math stand-out was its tight, concise presentation of topics without going on and on. So, that is not the same focus in the new edition. It is moving to more of a traditional workbook feel with more of what you see in typical math programs in the U.S. :D We find that more is often just more, not necessarily better! This is true in regards to the new Standards Editions.

I hope that helps, as you make your decision. Our family has enjoyed using Carrie's plans as she has written them for the U.S. Edition Singapore Math from K through 6B. The hands-on lessons in the younger years from K through 2B were wonderful! We also liked that the Singapore U.S. Edition was different from other math programs, in that lots of extra work was not added, added, added through the past years (as is the American trend these days). I like that our math time is in balance with the rest of our day. In other words, it doesn't take us forever to do! :D I like math, but I don't want to do it all day. :wink: I also like that all of our sons (some mathy, some not) do well on their standardized testing. :D So, these are some reasons we have enjoyed it. I didn't use the HIG until 5B, and then I only used it as a resource. It IS important to choose a math curriculum you are comfortable with as the mom/teacher, and any math can be used with HOD. However, if you choose a different math that takes twice as long or requires twice as much of you as the teacher than HOD intended, you just have to know your day will automatically be longer, your teaching time will be longer, and that is not really due to using HOD. :wink: So, only you will know if what you are substituting will add time to the day, add teaching time to your plate, etc., and only you will know if this is worth it because you love what you are substituting! :D It is just good to be mindful of these considerations as you choose what to use. Carrie spent forever researching math, and her recommendation is the Singapore Math U. S. Edition, so that is worth much to me! Well worth a try at least IMHO. :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie