Breaking for Summer

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Breaking for Summer

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:58 am

I don't know about you but I am ready to quit! I can't but I am ready! When are all of you calling it a year? I had to take quite a bit of time off this past month because my mouth surgery. And we took quite a few trips last fall. Needless to say, those things are extending my year a bit. I usually try to be done by the first of May because I just need to get outside and enjoy the whether by that point. But we are going through the end of May this year. How about all of you? How much longer do all of you have in this school year?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Re: Breaking for Summer

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 am

We don't stop. But we do "light days" a lot of times during the spring and fall. Generally it'll look something like DITHOR, dictation, R&S, and math. Or like the other day it was R&S, math, science experiments, and a movie based on a true story :shock: Today it's making a recipe from scratch after shopping and paying for all the ingredients, and probably watching some sort of documentary or historical movie.... and I'll count tomorrow's softball tournament in with today's school.

Alternately we do half a day of regular guide work ;)

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:44 am

We should finish Preparing by the end of June. The schools here -break up on late July and start back in September. We have some camping trips planned for August. We might start back late August .
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:52 am

We usually go to the end of May, although a few of the kids will be finishing some of their subjects in a few weeks. We have 2 birthday boys in May, one near Mother's day and the other at the end, so they like to do extra lessons in Math to get done before their birthday :) One of those boys just made a comment " Isn't there a holiday or something coming up that we could take the day off today?" LOL
I think we're ready to quit too, I know I am for sure! We've had an earlier spring this year for SD and it is HARD to do school.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I hear you on being ready for a break! We've had a hard time focusing here lately.

We normally finish up our regular school year May 15th (before the slew of birthdays, anniversaries, and out-of-state family visiting) This year we need another week or two. Then we always take 2-3 weeks before starting a light summer schedule. Summer school consists of 5-6 weeks of whatever needs to be done, with a few fun things thrown in. Not sure what we will do this year. For sure I want the regular schedule to start back up by Labor Day.

We are taking a 3 day weekend now due to a family birthday - hoping that helps cure our spring fever!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:52 pm

We finished Beyond a few weeks ago, and now we are on our last day of HOD "break." We will start half speed Bigger on Monday. We will keep the half speed up through June and maybe into July and then go full speed. We live in an area where weather changes very quickly, so we just take advantages of the nice days. And on the non-nice days, we have something to do!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

We get more done in summer than the rest of the year! LOL! With co-op, 4h, field trips, PE, winter colds, and beautiful weather in fall and Spring... Heh. Then in Summer nothing is going on like that and the hot days are just miserable enough to WANT to stay inside and do school. :wink:

We will keep schooling through summer and hopefully begin Preparing in September.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:12 pm

I usually go until the end of June (our best weather is July & August). With all of the interruptions this school year I am thinking of July 3rd, and then 2 hours each morning before play this summer.

I feel rejuvenated this year to keep going & I can only give the LORD the credit!I

nena3927

Post by nena3927 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:15 pm

We just finished our last day in LHFHG today! Yay! We plan to start Beyond and add LHTH for my littlest guy on July 1. My kiddos can't stand the heat so it works out great for our school year to run July-April :)
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

gardenmama28

Post by gardenmama28 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

I am hoping to wrap up school by the end of May. For sure the two I have in LHTH. My daughter who is in Beyond will be about 2 weeks away from completing the whole guide, but we will likely just finish up the year then no matter how much is left. We live in Canada and the summers here are short but beautiful and I want to squeeze every last drop out of summer!!! Plenty of time for school in winter when it is too cold to go outside!!!

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am

We will finish at the end of May. We've had our best year yet, and are not behind or have need to play catch up. I'm truly concerned about how to fill our time this summer! :)

Maybe HOD can put together some summer 'bridge' guides after the HS guides are finished. Lol. :) Totally kidding. ;)

I feel like a public school parent..."What am I going to do with these kids all summer!" I think we will continue with math and read from a big stack of books that don't fit into our school year, but I'm still worried... ;)
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm

We're pulling ahead this year. My school kids don't get out til late June. We just started unit 30 of 34. So our days will be very light come another month. We'll keep reading, math and R&S going til my school kids are done or my daughter finishes. We've got about 40 each of math lessons and R&S lessons to go. She finished ER and we'll keep reading DITHOR level 2 book pack over the summer so her reading skill say sharp.

I'm excited about the fall! Second time through Preparing and my first time with a highschool guide!
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:17 pm

I wish all you moms the best on your "home stretch" towards summer.

We, however, will be doing school for most of the summer. Of course when our precious baby darling was born in January we took some time off, probably 4-5 weeks, and my oldest was not in a guide for about 3 months total, from early December to early March. I'm not "keeping track" really because my kids are all right where they need to be. But that time off does necessitate some extra weeks and those will come this summer. We will also do swimming lessons, and maybe a sport or two, we are still figuring that out.

After my oldest was not doing a whole guide for 3 months, getting back into doing a whole guide was tough! It reminded me of a summer break. Which makes me not want to do a summer break. But it only took a few weeks to get acclimated, that first week was kind of rough though!

I love how HOD gives us structure and rhythm to our days and weeks. I am looking forward to doing it through most of the summer months, except when we go to visit family or have someone visiting.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

jjn3beans

Post by jjn3beans » Sat May 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Our year has just stretched out with no end in sight! One of my problems with our current program and the reason I have come to research HOD, which I'm going to give a try! We have 36 weeks in our program, and we are only on week 25. We're keeping on track the last month, but I've had to take some stuff out. We are going strong through the last week of May, then do 2 weeks of just math spaced 2 times a week, then the last 2 weeks of June, the girls and I are going to my sister's house in Washington. I'm going to start our lessons again the second week of July. This isn't something new; we school year round, but I am ready to be done right now.
Julie
DD15, DD13 (MtMM + some WG)
DD11 (Preparing)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat May 02, 2015 3:39 pm

I am happy to say that the last day is......5/28!!!!!! Can't wait. And I just don't think this day can come soon enough :-) We do some review over the summer but it is MUCH lighter. We mainly on do some review (light) and then a some fun stuff (like nature study) to keep a schedule and to keep life interesting. Then we start back up mid August. It is very nice schedule though and I am excited that I won't be having my year drag into June.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM