Math after Singapore 6A-B

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
onlybygrace

Math after Singapore 6A-B

Post by onlybygrace » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:43 am

My DD will be finished with Singapore 6A-B when she finishes Resurrection to Reformation. As I am looking ahead, I see the next guide lists 6A-B as the highest math option and the following 2 guides list Algebra 1 as the highest math. I rely on the pacing suggestions in the guides for our math lessons. So, I am wondering if you have any additional guidance for us?
Wife to an amazing husband
Mom to 3 blessings on earth
dd - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM now
ds - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG now
ds 3 1/2 - excited to do it all!

Jennymommy

Re: Math after Singapore 6A-B

Post by Jennymommy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 am

You might look at Carrie's suggestions and discussion about math in WG here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13789 and see if there is a good option for dd.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:38 am

If you look at the first week of WG, you will notice that Carrie doesn't give a detailed pacing for any of the high school math programs as well, but she does give general pacing information in the introduction (which you can view from the WG page as a pdf). So, if you pick one of the Algebra options Carrie suggests, you can find the pacing there. It is pretty easy to plan out that way.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:34 pm

How old is your dd. One of my kids will be done with 6B by the time they finish 6th grade. I plan to do No-Nonse Algebra for a year if that happens. My other two kids will be done with 6B by the time they finish 7th grade. With my oldest, she is not mathy at all! She will probably do No-nonse Algebra for 8th grade and Foerester's for 9th. With my other child, if she is ready for Forester's in 8th grade, that is fine. If not, again, I will use No-nonse Algebra for a year. HOD recommends that if kids aren't yet ready for Foerester's Algebra that they do No-Nonse Algebra for year.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Nealewill wrote:How old is your dd. One of my kids will be done with 6B by the time they finish 6th grade. I plan to do No-Nonse Algebra for a year if that happens. My other two kids will be done with 6B by the time they finish 7th grade. With my oldest, she is not mathy at all! She will probably do No-nonse Algebra for 8th grade and Foerester's for 9th. With my other child, if she is ready for Forester's in 8th grade, that is fine. If not, again, I will use No-nonse Algebra for a year. HOD recommends that if kids aren't yet ready for Foerester's Algebra that they do No-Nonse Algebra for year.
This is our plan as well! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

onlybygrace

Post by onlybygrace » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses! My dd is 10 now and working through CTC. I like to look and plan ahead! That would make her 12 when she runs out of Singapore math, which she loves. She struggles a lot with written narrations, though she is improving and has greatly improved oral narration. She also struggles with focus/concentration. But she has really excelled in math and I would hate for anything to change that for her. The no frills no extra repetition in Singapore really fit her well. Should we do a year of No nonsense so she can be older for Algebra I?
Wife to an amazing husband
Mom to 3 blessings on earth
dd - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM now
ds - LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG now
ds 3 1/2 - excited to do it all!

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:24 pm

My dd finished 6B in 6th grade and we wandered around for 7th trying to find a good fit. I knew she needed a PreAlgebra program because she wasn't ready for Alg 1. I'm not very pleased with what we tried so I won't mention it here but I do plan to use Math Mammoth 7a/7b after Singapore 6b for next dd in line before going on to VT or Foerster's in 8th. :) I will say that she was not ready for no non-nonsense Algebra (or algebra of any kind). She still needed work on fractions, negative numbers, and computation speed and accuracy.

I wish this would have been available in time for oldest to use (7a was just released). I now have MM 7a in hand and really like it and feel like it covers negative numbers, orders of operation, exponents, absolute values, the distributive property and other areas that dd struggled while still maintaining the rigor of a Singapore style math. I so wish Singapore had a 7th grade program that was more user friendly but MM is very similar and I'm looking forward to using it.

HtH!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm

My oldest is finishing up SM 6b right now for 6th grade. I spent hours looking at different choices online for 7th grade. I really did not want to jump into Algebra 1 until 8th grade. Even though SM does cover some Pre-Algebra there are several topics not covered. I finally decided on Horizons Pre-Algebra after looking at several different books at a homeschool store. My son preferred the layout of Horizons to all of the others. Hopefully it works out for us.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th