Library vs Buying Book Packs

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Cristi

Library vs Buying Book Packs

Post by Cristi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:23 pm

i was wondering everyone's opinion on buying the book packs for read aloud time amd DITHOR. It would obviously be more cost effective to use the library but I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's worth it. The library is obviously a much bigger hasel. So what's your opinion: is it worth the money to buy the book packs?

Samuel'sMommy

Re: Library vs Buying Book Packs

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:37 pm

For me it is definitely worth the money. Our library isn't that great and I would have to request many of the books on inter library loan which takes longer and costs a couple of dollars per book. It's easier to just order from HOD and know that I have everything I need. Plus, all the HOD books are great choices and have quickly become favorites. When we finish them, my son often takes them to reread. Because of that, I actually buy all the book sets in a guide if there is more than one (classic, boy set, girl set, etc). I like knowing that we have quality books on the shelves for him to read during free time so it's worth it to me.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm

If you can do it, I'd say buy the books. I know others will say it much better than I can, but I think it's worth it just to be able to pull the book off your own shelf. It's a great investment!
For ME, it would have saved: frustration 'cause I couldn't find the book, then checking with inter-loan, then waiting until the book came, then getting back into town to GET the book(25mi / 25-30min.drive) AND I could never seem to think ahead far enough :oops: Just one time of THAT and I didn't care to do it again so...some of the read aloud books didn't get done :oops: :( Some of the books we already owned, found one book at the library that we didn't have, and I just recently bought some others. Maybe you have a better library...I'd still say buy them, if you can at all manage it. :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:10 pm

This year we used the library for the emerging readers and storytime in Beyond. I purchased everything for Bigger. The library works, and if money was tight, I would do it again. But it was more work. I would forget to request a book, or I would forget to go to the library. Also, our library check out time is 3 weeks, and for storytime and DITHOR, books are used for 4 weeks. Rechecking out or just not turning in on time isn't a huge deal, but it is an annoyance. But since they younger two will use them as well, I thought I would just buy everything this time. I think for Preparing up, storytime can be hard at the library. We will see what I decide about DITHOR.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes, buy them if you can. Even when I could get them by interlibrary loan, I would have to return them before we were done, or could not get them when I needed them. Such a hassle :cry:

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:40 pm

My library is enormous but doesn't carry many Christian titles. I buy all the books and book packs. I love reading the HOD selections. In addition, we buy all of the books for the book packs both boy and girl as soon as my oldest is at that level. I am stocking my shelves with great books. I also buy the extensions books as well for my kids to read as they get older. I currently own the extensions for Bigger, Preparing and CTC. Last summer my oldest dd read several of the extensions over the summer from Bigger on her own. I anticipate this being a reoccurring trend with most of the extension books for all of my kids. DITHOR even has a $5 book list and we have ordered in some of those books in as well. We have not been disappointed!

Pretty much my husband says I can never have too many books. Pretty much.....he is right LOL :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

I haven't been using HOD for long but previous years taught me that the library isn't ideal for us. We live 9miles from town and with 7 kids books just disappear and when Grandma took them to town she'd let them get more and I couldn't keep track of them all. Never mind trying to get books on time to start them the right day! Oy!

I also tried some online used book stores and a local one to source books rather than buying the package and I couldn't find them cheaper. Well, maybe the occasional one but not enough to compensate for the package pricing that HOD gives!

I'm buying from HOD. (even though I had to buy 4 different guides worth this year!)
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm

The one thing I would like to mention is that if you do have a large library, we do get books out to read as well. I have a few laundry baskets filled with picture books at all times. My kids love to read interesting stories from these books. Many of them have challenging vocabulary and they preserver because the book is interesting. My youngest will read 2-3 of these books a day. My son will sit next to her so she can read the book to him LOL. But I have found him reading about 4 of them a week. He is not a "reader" but a preferred picture looker LOL. My youngest is an excellent reader as is my oldest now. For us, if I constantly keep the house stocked of interesting books, my kids will read them. We also don't let the kids have any screen time on week days. This has also encouraged my kids reo read, read, read. Hence, this is the reason I go to the library every week or so and fill a laundry basket full of interesting picture books for my kids to read. I know this was more info than you needed but did want to say the library can be a useful tool if you wanted to use it. I just don't use it for anything required for school, it is for pure book enjoyment only.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 am

For me, I have four using HOD now. So the library would be insane trying to figure out who needs what book when and for how long, etc. If I buy the book packs I just save them for the next child and don't have to worry about getting it. I just have to buy one new book pack each time.

Cristi

Post by Cristi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. Your responses were along the lines of what I was thinking myself. We live literally 3 minutes from a library that is small but we have a great interlibrary system that is free. BUT I constantly forget to order the books on time and then I forget to take them back on time. My kids carry them all over the house and then I have to sort out whats ours and what goes to the library. My husband would much prefer me use the library and save the money but I just don't think its worth my time and hassle to deal with it. Plus I do have a younger daughter that will reuse this when she gets older. Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.