finish the wrong spelling of a word?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

finish the wrong spelling of a word?

Post by Gwenny » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:42 am

"As soon as an incorrect letter is written in the spelling of a word, erase it away and redirect to the correct image (showing the index card with the correct spelling upon it)."

Carrie said this in an answer to a spelling question. So, on the day that you say the word in a sentence and then they write it down, do you stop them as soon as they are wrong? Do I let them finish and look at the card to show that it's wrong? I've been doing the latter since it seemed that was what the directions were.

In list 2, by that day, my son many times misses quite a few of the words. Very discouraging. :(
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

nena3927

Re: finish the wrong spelling of a word?

Post by nena3927 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:55 am

I have always let my ds finish spelling the word the way he thought it should be spelled. Then I will show him the card and have him correct spelling before moving on to the next word. This was the way I thought you were supposed to teach the spelling, not stopping them before they have even finished writing the word. I could be wrong though, that's just not how we have done it this year.
~Nena
Blessed Wife and Mother of 3 :)
DS (7) Beyond
DD (5) Beyond
DS (4) Loving R&S Preschool Workbooks

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 am

CM would say you should correct them or stop them as soon as they start writing it wrong. This is because of the "visual memory" development. But I know I have also read threads on here where people say that's not what they do. I think the correction activities are important (in the guides). Different varying ways to have the student write the word correctly if they miss it. This will get their attention and help them focus on the correct spelling of the word. I used to just have my DD erase and write the word again correctly 3 times. But I think using those activities in the guide really helps a lot. I do let my DD finish if she is spelling something wrong. If she is hesitating (as in obviously struggling anyway to remember) and then starts spelling it wrong or is stopping because she realizes its probably wrong then I offer a hint and if that doesn't help I show her the card. But if I've had to show her the card I treat that as a missed word and use the activity for her to reinforce the correct spelling.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:50 pm

If they are pausing with the intent to fix it because they can tell it doesn't 'look right,' I let them work through it and fix it. If they are trudging onward and finishing it confidently, but it is misspelled, I stop them, have them erase it, and have them study the card to write it again. :D I just wanted to mention, with my ds who had speech difficulties early on in life, I would have him do the words on markerboard twice on the first day, as well as twice (as it is assigned) on the second day. This little extra help seemed to help. Also, the words being written on index cards in black, one to a card, worked well for him. Likewise, writing in a black dry erase marker on a white marker board, and erasing each word as he completed it so each time he had a blank 'slate' to write on helped. I mention this because he always wanted to write his words in a list on a marker board, and I didn't let him. It just would have distracted him or would have been a 'help' he wasn't supposed to have when writing the next words. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Good ideas. I'm going to try some of these. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG