Week in Review: April 21-25

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MelInKansas

Week in Review: April 21-25

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:59 pm

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MelInKansas

Re: Week in Review: April 21-25

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Spring has Sprung! We are having a good week, but busy because we have been working in the garden, planting and watering grass, meeting friends at the park(s), and also preparing for some of our other activities to finish up for the year.

But even with that we did Unit 12-13 of Preparing, Unit 21 of Beyond, and Unit 27 in LHTH.

I am floored with how the history study in Grandpa's Box is going. I love that we read this narrative of the Grandpa telling his grandkids about a story in the Bible and how it fits into the overall spirituall battle, and then for the Storytime box we read through and discuss the story in the Bible and it just comes to life as you think about it in ways you never have before. I have to confess that I myself am learning and growing in Biblical knowledge through this study. I also like the different ways we interact with the material, narrations, discussion questions, activities. The history activity this week was for her to make a scroll (in Unit 12) and then make a paper with invisible ink with the writing that King Belshazzar saw on the wall. Our Science activity at the end of Unit 12 was to each of us create a dinosaur and cut it up, and then we mixed all the pieces together and each tried to assemble the other person's dinosaur. It had been a long day of homeschooling and I wasn't sure I wanted to do it but I am glad we sat down and did it, even though other tasks may have gotten delayed.

We finished our first round of DITHOR with my oldest. Now I have to dig out my 4/5 book pack and get ready to start 4/5 next week! She was reading the Secret School and she has enjoyed that book and learned so much from it. Thursday she did her presentation of her timeline that she created from that book, and she did a terrific job. I had helped her with summarizing the events of the book, but I think she really grasped it and was able to make a nice timeline from it, though that wasn't her favorite of the projects we have done.

Beyond is really fun as always too. Now we are getting into some activities that my oldest clearly remembers doing when she was in Beyond. Though this time around I had some whipped cream to use for the clouds in science, and last time I had used cotton balls... that didn't generate nearly as much interest. She was learning about the French travelling to Detroit and being friends with the Indians. They made canoes and painted them like the Indians did. Overall this was a really fun week and I am learning how to work school in whenever and be flexible with my schedule as things come up.

LHTH was good also. Again, I am thankful for the gradual progression going through it, now she is doing math activities that do challenge her and are getting her ready for LHFHG when we get there. She has been doing some beginning handwriting and another math workbook we have but she enjoys what we do with LHTH much more and it has been going really well. The Rhyme in Motion has been so much fun and that is definitely a highlight. This week's focus was on faith in Jesus and that is how we go to heaven and there were several activities along with the Rhyme that emphasized this along with my daughter asking one night (probably going along with Easter) "why did Jesus die?" I am so blessed to have these things as part of my school time with my kids and hopefully encourage them to put their faith in Jesus.

That was my week. One thing I definitely learned this week is that I can't have all 3 of my kids doing something at once, it just does not work well! And #4 often getting in the mix too. I was trying to keep my 3rd DD engaged as when she runs off to play she is often getting in trouble or finding ways to get into things she shouldn't. But trying to have her do school was not working so I need to work on different ways to do that. I hope the rest of you mamas have had wonderful weeks!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven