Sneak Peeks 2014: New World History Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Sneak Peeks 2014: New World History Guide

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Ladies,

I am so excited that we are to the time of year when we begin sharing "sneak peeks" from our upcoming new guide! :D It is thrilling for us to officially be in the high school years with our guides now! :D It is our prayer that we will be able to write the guides in such a way that students who go through all 4 high school HOD guides will have everything needed for graduation and college entrance (with the exception of Physical Education). :D

The target age range for our new World History guide will be ages 14-16, extending up through 12th grade with adjustments in the 3R's and science as needed. It is important to note that only those 14 year olds who have first come up through the HOD World Geography guide should attempt the World History guide. All other 14 year olds would be better served by beginning with either the HOD World Geography guide or Missions to Modern Marvels guide. Our own 14 year old is currently using and enjoying the World Geography guide this year for his freshman year of high school. 8)

After having our oldest son go through high school without the benefit of having HOD guides written for his level, I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been for me to have the HOD World Geography guide written for my next child in line (who is using it as a freshman this year)! I am a less frazzled and more sane momma/teacher with my HOD guide in hand than I was with my older son (who had to endure my less than polished sketchy, chicken scratch type plans).:shock:

With our oldest son graduating from high school this year, my husband and I will have a college freshman, a sophomore in high school, and two younger sons at our house this coming school year. :D Since our own high school sophomore will be in need of the new World History guide, I am eagerly anticipating this guide as much (or more) than many of you! 8)

Sneak Peek #1: Science viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14746
Sneak Peek #2: Bible viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14774
Sneak Peek #3: Pilgrim's Progress viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14816
Sneak Peek #4: Health viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14891
Sneak Peek #5: Fine Arts viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14901
Sneak Peek #6: Composition/Grammar viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14921
Sneak Peek #7: Literature viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15016
Sneak Peek #8: World History viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15079
Sneak Peek #9: Foreign Language viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15160
Sneak Peek #10: Living Library viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15168
Sneak Peek #11: Math Recommendations viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15212
Package Pricing 2014: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15309

Blessings,
Carrie

haf8275

Re: Sneak Peeks 2014: New World History Guide

Post by haf8275 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm completely new, so I'm not even sure this will go into the right place for my question! I'm considering HOD for my children, my oldest will be 8th grade in the fall. I'm looking ahead to the high school curriculum and wonder what will be used for Language Arts. Do you plan on using Bob Jones for Lit all the way through the high school years?

Thank you,
Heather

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Heather,

Welcome to Heart of Dakota! :D I haven't posted our plan for literature for the new World History guide yet, but it will be coming up in a few weeks. Since you have an 8th grader, you'd most likely be looking at either Missions to Modern Marvels or The World Geography Guide for next year. You can see that Missions to Modern Marvels uses real books in conjunction with Drawn into the Heart of Reading and that The World Geography Guide uses real books alternating with units of BJU Literature. :D I'm looking forward to sharing about the literature plan for the upcoming guide too.

Just so you know, all new posts begin on the Main Board. So, if you desire more responses, you'll want to post there! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Carrie,

Are the 2 electives Fine Arts and Health?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Florence,

Yes, two of the "extra" subjects for this guide outside of the core (Math, English, Science, and History) are Health and Fine Arts. In our state, Health and Fine Arts are required courses, so they wouldn't be electives. In other states, they may be electives, so it is hard to know what to call them sometimes! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm

I can't wait to buy this for my son :D . Thank you so much!!!
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

jacksonhill

Post by jacksonhill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks Carrie,
This looks very good! I especially like the variety of resources that are included in the World History portion of the year. I do have one question though, and I hope that I haven't just missed it somewhere in these sneak peeks, but are you planning a 1/2 credit of Spanish again?
Bert

sted

Post by sted » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Carrie,

When is the progjected release date for the new World History Guide?
Will it be ready by the end of August?

Thanks,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Bert,

I just added the description for the 1/2 credit of Spanish, so here is the link! Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15160

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Shannon,

The projected release date for the new guide is the very end of August or the first few weeks of September. This is the same release date we've been functioning under for the last 3-4 years. We need it for our own son to use next year, and my sister (who is my editor) needs it for her oldest son also, so we're very motivated to get the guides done for personal reasons as well! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

keprunty

Post by keprunty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:29 am

Is it possible to tell us which book will be the first in each subject? I have a student who is very eager to start and wants to know which books will be first so she can start looking at them.

Thank you!
Karin Prunty