preparing reading packages

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
learningtolove

preparing reading packages

Post by learningtolove » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Hello! I don't want to make the same mistake again of getting too many books as I did in Bigger. I have a desire for my son to try and enjoy all of the books that are listed under preparing in the basic, deluxe, and extension package. This is probably way too much.

Is the basic package for the following the reading in the guide? Is the deluxe only if you want them to do extra reading on their own? Would you use the deluxe along with the basic package or use the deluxe by itself following the guide reading? I may have this all backwards.

Regarding the extension package. My son is 10 going on 11 and is just now starting preparing. Would it be wise to have him do the extensions so he is not behind?

Thank you!

Samuel'sMommy

Re: preparing reading packages

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:25 pm

I have not done preparing yet, but my understanding is that basic package is necessary for the core of the program. The deluxe package is scheduled in the guide and is designed for the student to do independently. If you are trying to cut costs, I think you could get by with just the basic package, but from what I've read on the boards, the deluxe package really adds a lot to the guide. I'm pretty sure the time to complete the work with the deluxe package is included in Carrie's suggested time guidelines for the guide. The extensions are for older kids doing the guide - usually when parents are trying to combine with younger kids in the family - and are done independently. I think they would replace some of the other books but not sure which ones. I don't think you would need them for an 11 year old.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

learningtolove

Post by learningtolove » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you! I just wanted to confirm:)

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 pm

The extension package would replace the deluxe package for an older student. Stephanie is right. You wouldn't need the extensions for your son, unless you feel he needs to be challenged more.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 pm

The deluxe package is really needed to get the most out of the program, I think. As already noted, these are the books your child would read for Science and the Independent History reading/projects. Does it also include the storytime books? You would also need those.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 pm

For PHFHG, you'd want the following...
Economy Package
Science Add-on
Drawn into the Heart of Reading 2/3 OR 4/5
A Drawn into the Heart of Reading book pack that fits child's reading level (or books of your own)
A year's worth of Math (which = 2 semesters worth of Singapore, an A and a B)
Either R & S English 3 OR 4, teacher's guide and pupil text
Optional: Lead Me to the Rock CD
Optional: Basic Package (I'd get this if possible, as it makes the history theme along with the entire left side of the guide's plans come to life)
Optional: Deluxe Package (I think this is even more important than the Basic Package, as it is an "I" independent box that teaches dc needed beginning skills to do the more involved independent work of the next guide - CTC - well)

HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

learningtolove

Post by learningtolove » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you so much ladies!!! I am excited to get going:)