Sick Kids

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Sick Kids

Post by StephanieU » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:01 pm

My oldest (in LHFHG) has been sick all week. She hasn't been sick enough to totally put school off this week. She has had a few hours each day that she felt totally normally (most often in the morning, so she got my hopes up), so we started school each day. We always start with AWANA (which they do while we eat breakfast semi-independently) and then the 3Rs because I have found the other two are too much of a distraction for anything I have to read. So, here is how our week went:
Monday - Everything but the physical parts of rhymes in motion, rotating box, and Bible. So, I considered it a complete day.
Tuesday - Same as Monday. We still modified but everything got covered one way or another.
Wednesday - Just fine motor skills, a tiny bit of math, history, and art because they are her favorites.
Thursday - The 3Rs and history
Friday (today) - 3Rs, history, and two days of story time.

Now I don't know what to do. We have missed Bible, but it is a review week. So, I am okay skipping reviewing the last few verses (she probably remembers them, but she has to be in the mood to say them). We have two days of science (rotating box) and one day of story time to do for sure. And we really didn't give the rhyme in motion much attention this week at all.

How do other families deal with these kinds of weeks? Luckily my kids don't get sick often (this is the first time she has been sick really in 2 years - maybe 1-2 24 hours bugs, but that is it). So, this is somewhat new territory. So I tell her we can't do history (which is Bible reading) until we do the other rotating boxes? She already knows the stories well, so I am thinking we just may do the science when we get a chance later...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Tansy

Re: Sick Kids

Post by Tansy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am

For us if she is sick and can do some we might skip a few enrichment activities and stick with the 3 r's and not require narration of the sick kid that was listening to the read alouds.

if the child is really sick and can't do the work at all they get movies and rest. We just picked up where they left off. and reboot school when they are better. Now I have 2 that are working together, and that is not always possible so if its my delayed child I actually give the other child a sick day too. But if it's the Nuro-typical one I know she can makeup missed work on a day off so I don;t fret and just have her do her missed work when she feels better.

Remember you don;t have to start day one one Monday :-) I know I know its hard... it took me 4 years to believe that...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I usually complete the boxes we can do, and save the others we can't do for the next day. If I decided they weren't that important in the scope of eternity...:) (like your boxes of review when your child already remembered the verses) we may skip it altogether and just go on to the next day's work.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks ladies. Luckily she was feeling better on Saturday, so we could do the two science activities. The hard part of me is that she loves the history portion (Bible right now), so she wants to do that. So, I don't want to tell her no, we can't do what you want for school. Hopefully we will stay well from now on so we don't have to worry about this at all.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm so sorry dd has been sick, but I am glad she is now better! :D Good ideas here already. I'll just share that if our dc are sick, we just do what we can. I check off the boxes, and the next day I finish out what was not done on the previous day's plans before moving on. I don't expect the physical things to be done if they are not able to do them, but are able to do the more mental things. Sometimes we get through 2 days of plans in 3 days this way, but at least there's not that off-kilter feeling. I've had times when others have been kind to help me out and teach a few days when I've had surgeries or babies or work to travel for - and if things were accidentally skipped, I usually just do a catch-up day where we only do the unfinished boxes. That's usually enough where we can move on and start fresh with a new day of plans the next day. We had to do this recently when I realized Riley had skipped 2 Student Book pages of DITHOR assignments. Yet, he only had a few chapters left to read (actually he probably read ahead and had no chapters left, but he already knew he was on the doghouse :wink: ). I had him read do his student book page, read a DITHOR chapter, do another student book page, and then finish his book and pick his project in 2 days. It made his day go longer, but he is not skipping things anymore. :wink: Of course, this was more a discipline situation rather than a sick child situation. Anyway, it sounds like you have your sweetie back on track and feelin' fine! Hope something in this rambling may help! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie