About HOD Science seeming "light"

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmomof4

About HOD Science seeming "light"

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:10 am

I have heard this commented or questioned often in the past. This year my children are not using HOD because of various life circumstances, but I wanted to share this brief testimony. My girls are in 9th and 10th grades, and for the past few years have only used the science in HOD as written (Bigger, Preparing, CTC, and part of Rev to Rev). This is their first year of public school since using HOD, and at the start of the year they were both placed in honors science. I think that says a lot about the way HOD does science :D I hope to be using HOD with my youngest baby in the future-maybe LHTH next year :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

countrymom

Re: About HOD Science seeming "light"

Post by countrymom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:25 pm

I fully agree. There is so much there than meets the eye at a first glance at the guide and it is presented in a way that students will remember and learn.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Agreed! My girls take a science class during the year, but we do the HOD science in the summer. It is so thorough even though it feels so very easy!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:33 am

Another AMEN to that. Especially in early guides, the science is so simple and quick, but it gives them concepts in a way they can understand. God made the world with order, and it is not difficult to understand it. Learning through doing activities and seeing how the world works is so much more effective than textbook learning. I am so thankful that we can do these simple, fun activites and read great books and through that learn about science.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:52 am

I think the only way HOD is light is based on what the kids want. My daughter (using LHFHG) wants more science! She is SO happy on science days. But, luckily it is pretty easy to find little experiments or projects for a 5-7yo. At this age, the goal is to get them to start thinking scientifically. Any knowledge they actually "memorize" is just cake anyways because we will really teach it later.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:05 pm

I couldn't agree more! Missing you, BTW, Lourdes!!! I think of you often - thanks for popping in here to share!!! :D

Love in Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Can't help but chime in here. I'm finishing up unit 8 right now in LHFHG with my daughter. I often have wondered if any of the science is "sticking" with her. Yesterday while playing with a big bouncy ball outside, she picked it up, held it over her head and started spinning. (We were just playing not doing school)

"Mommy, I'm the earth. Right now it's night time" (her back was away from me).
"Now it's daytime." (by now she had spun around and was facing me)
We did that WEEKS ago in our lesson!!!! And here she was remembering it. Are they learning? I think yes!!!! :D
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Lourdes,

It is good to "see" you! :D Thanks so much for taking time to post about your girls. I was blessed by your sharing. :D A living book style science can "seem" light at first glance but as the days (and years) pass and the kiddos ruminate on the lives of those they have read about, learned from, and experimented along with, they make many connections along the way and begin to think scientifically. :D Often those who feel the science is "light" haven't really done the science as written but have instead changed it early on and then even eventually replaced it, never really understanding the "why" behind the "how" of the way the science is written. HOD is one of those curriculums where you realize its hidden depths only after fully teaching every part of the guide. :wink: Truly, the straight-forward layout of the plans can be deceiving in that beneath the simple format lies a richness that is only revealed as you teach your way through each day and week and month. :D That's also the joy of HOD, in discovering treasures woven within each guide that you didn't really even know were there.

Thanks for sharing! You made my night! :D

Blessings,
Carrie