Update on my burnout

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovetobehome

Update on my burnout

Post by lovetobehome » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Hello, dear friends. I just wanted to post a short thank you to all of you who encouraged me, advised me, and prayed for me this summer. I had posted about my feelings of burnout awhile back, and I read your responses carefully and considered what each of you had to say. I was so burnt out, that I could not even muster a response at the time, there was a lot swirling around in my brain. I came to the realization that I have been depressed for about a year. Just admitting that made me feel some comfort in knowing that this WOULD come to an end, and that it is temporary, and there are things I can do to change. Actions I can take to take better care of myself- exercise, time to pursue something I enjoy on my own (unrelated to my duties as mom and wife and housekeeper), and most importantly more time really REALLY talking to my Savior and believing His promises for me instead of the lies.

I have made some changes, taking better care of myself (vitamins!), getting together regularly with other women to pray and study what God has to say, His promises. I realized that since I had children, I have poured out all of me, all my time, into them and my home, and my church family, and I am just in need of some nurturing myself. Making a little time for me, and a lot more time with God.

I realized my problems have nothing to do with homeschooling or my children. We're continuing to homeschool, and I have a great deal of hope! I am wrestling with things still, but I can see light now, and I know He is bringing me through the storm for His glory.

"The Lord is my helper and my CHAMPION, in Him my heart hoped, and I was helped, and my flesh revived; And I will give thanks to Him willingly." Psalm 27:7-8

Since there were others feeling so similarly to how I was feeling, I wanted to post to let you know that there IS hope, and it WILL get better.

"The Lord is a refuge for the poor man, a helper in seasons of affliction. And let those who know your name put their hope in you; for You, O Lord, do not forsake those who seek You." Psalm 9:10-11

May His name be praised and glorified, may we give thanks to Him in all seasons.
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

netpea

Re: Update on my burnout

Post by netpea » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Praise God! May He lift you up and shelter you in His arms as you work through these things.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Thank you SO much for your update! It is so wonderful to hear you HOPE-FILLED words. So often we go through valleys in life in order that we can help others and to glorify our God in it and through it. You are doing just that! I praise my Father for you and the strength and love He has given to you. What a blessing you are being to others by posting your struggles and trials, by being real and transparent in your walk with Christ.

I pray the Lord's continued peace and presence over you. P.S. One thing that really helps me is to get alone and quiet and listen to some "soaking" music. It is very healing, worshipful and anointed music that the Lord uses to bless and take us through emotional healing. Look into Julie True's music. She has some songs on YouTube as well. I often just light a candle and take a bath or lie in the floor and listen.

Blessings to you and thank you again for this update. It brought joy to my heart to read it.
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Heidi in AK

Post by Heidi in AK » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 pm

AMEN. That's great! I've been dealing with some burnout too so much so that I haven't been on the HOD boards in about a month. Your post was really encouraging to me, and I'm praising God for how He Himself is encouraging you. :)
Heidi
loving teaching my rewards!!!
Girlie (dd7) - Beyond, 4 days/week
Boy-o (ds4), LHTH, along for the ride!!! (all boy, whatever he can get his hands on, FULL OF ENERGY!)
Psalm 78:3-7

http://heidihovan.blogspot.com

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

SO glad to hear this, and so happy for you! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

solagratia824

Post by solagratia824 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 am

Thank you for updating us and encouraging us. Praise God! :) He is faithful... and your sharing your journey with us helps us all!
Camden

Homeschooling mama to...
ds 1st (Beyond)
dd preschool (LHTH)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

Praise God! How wonderful! Thank you so much for coming back and sharing with us. Your solution had a lot of wisdom in it and I know that will be helpful to m ore than just yourself. Sounds like you made the turn to a closer road to Him in the process. :D Congratulations!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:00 pm

I'm encouraged to know you are trusting in God's promises! :D Thanks for sharing!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

CarlaHowe79

Post by CarlaHowe79 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Thank You so much for your openess. I am so thankful that you are doing better. Your update is such an encourgment to me thank you!!
Carla wife to an amazing man of God, Matt for eight years
mama to Grace BLFHG age 6
Anderson and Connor the dynamic twin duo in LHTH age 3
and Baby Girl who doesn't have a name yet..but is coming Labor Day:)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:23 am

Rejoicing that you are feeling somewhat better and are wanting to share your testimony to help others. (((HUGS)))
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 am

Your post brought tears to my eyes. All I could think the whole way through it was "beauty for ashes and a garment of praise for my heaviness". The group Shane and Shane sang a song with those lyrics from Isaiah 61:3.
Thank you for sharing.
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)