Phonics and Emerging Readers during Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
skwmackey

Phonics and Emerging Readers during Beyond

Post by skwmackey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm

My six year old DS is starting Beyond on the 15th of August. This past year, we have been using Reading Made Easy for his phonics lessons. Currently, we are on lesson 82. We are planning to fit in a few more lessons before school starts back up. My question is this, has anyone ever started the year finishing the phonics while starting the emerging reader schedule at the same time, or should we finish the phonics completely before moving on to emerging readers? There are 108 lessons in Reading Made Easy. We do one lesson per day and then the practice the next day. We would finish the phonics around week nine of Beyond? Just wondering what others have done in this situation.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

http://calitexans.blogspot.com

holyhart

Re: Phonics and Emerging Readers during Beyond

Post by holyhart » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I can't answer to doing both phonics and emerging readers at one time. However, by the end of RME, we were able to do a new lesson every day, especially as the last ones were the story (Gideon, I believe). Don't know if that helps at all.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 pm

You can easily just start the ERs when you're done with your phonics program. So in week 10 just start the ERs. You could finish them next summer. Or, you could start the ERs alongside the end of RME if you thought your child was ready.

Either way. =)
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

skwmackey

Post by skwmackey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward doing them at the same time but keeping a close eye on him in case it is too much. He loves to read, especially when a story is involved.
Stephanie

Mom to:

Caleb 13 - Rev to Rev
Josiah 8 - Bigger
Levi 6 - LHFHG/Beyond
Silas 5 - LHFHG

http://calitexans.blogspot.com

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Do you already have any of the Emerging reader books? I assume you would have chosen the Early Reader's Bible? If so, browse it and see if you think he would be able to read it well with the phonics lessons he's had. Browse the next few books also. My DD finished her phonics learn-to-read program this January, we did other things and just read books until starting Beyond in July. The Early Reader's Bible is too easy for her. But I have looked at the books that come next and they start getting harder pretty quickly. So while he might be able to do the Bible easily, it may ramp up too quickly afterwards so think about that. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what to do. I don't think that doing Emerging Readers off schedule with Beyond would be difficult or a disadvantage. You could keep going with it even if/when you move on to Bigger, because I think you start DITHOR or some other reading at that point which is really at the child's pace. I don't know about that yet.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Like the other ladies have said, you are free to start the Emerging Readers at any time. Whenever your child is ready. :D As long as it didn't make your day too long, you could start them along side phonics, or you can just wait until your finished if that's easier. The Emerging Reader schedule does NOT have to be done so that the Units match up with which unit you're on in Beyond. :wink: Just take it at your own pace. You could even do phonics 3 days a week and the Emerging Readers 2 days a week for now, if you'd like. Then when phonics is done, move to doing the ERS every day.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:40 am

We have been always off schedule with the Readers in Beyond and it does not matter. We will probably be in the ER's for at least the 1st half of Bigger because we started them late and right now we are in a "stall," reading extra readers at level 3 until we are ready to go on. I would just keep a solid reading/phonics program going at the right pace for your child and you will be fine.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC