too late to switch to singapore??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ashley78

too late to switch to singapore??

Post by ashley78 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:04 pm

My oldest will be in 5th grade this year. He went to public school until last year when we started hs. We used R&S Math 4 last year. I'm wondering if it's too late in the game to switch him to Singapore Math. I gave him the placement test and he would need to start in 4a. However, I'm concerned that he will not have the foundation necessary to do well since he's never used this kind of math. Has anyone ever switched this late?

Homeschooln2qts

Re: too late to switch to singapore??

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Ashley78,

My oldest is also in 5th (just started) and he switched to Singapore from Teaching Textbooks. He also tested into Singapore 4a and is doing quite well with it. He's already almost half way through with the 4a workbook and textbook. Ideally, I'm sure it would've been better to have him start Singapore earlier, but I personally still don't think it's too late, especially if math comes fairly easily to your child. Just my opinion :wink:
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Just curious, homeschooln2qts - did your oldest switch from Teaching Textbooks 4 or 5 to go into Singapore 4a? Both of my boys have been doing Teaching Textbooks for the math part, but they are also both having a hard time with it. I'm not sure if it's because they are now running into things that they don't already know and actually have to learn something new and work at it, or if Teaching Textbooks just isn't working for them. (They also don't like writing down all their math problems on a separate sheet, then figure out the answer, then write it down in the computer)

They are finishing up 4 and 5, (in TT) but once they have completed that, (in a few weeks) was planning on just getting the next level of TT. However, with them struggling, maybe we should go the Singapore route. We are doing everything as written in HOD with the exception of math, so perhaps it might be best to try HOD's recommendation for math as well?! My oldest is only going into fourth, but overall in math, he is advanced and catches onto new concepts quickly. Any recommendations would be most welcome!
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Here's a similar discussion, when I asked about switching to Singapore from MUS...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9600
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Just curious, homeschooln2qts - did your oldest switch from Teaching Textbooks 4 or 5 to go into Singapore 4a?
Actually, my oldest had just finished up TT 6. He was a couple of grade levels ahead in that program. I was growing more and more concerned that TT wouldn't prepare him for higher level math based on several discussions I had come across on different homeschool forums about Teaching Textbooks. I thought about switching to Singapore since we were just starting HoD and it was so highly recommended but was worried that it was too late to switch him. After having him take the Singapore placement test and discussing it with dh, we both decided that we wanted to give Singapore a try. He placed in 4b (if I recall correctly) but we decided to let him start with 4a since he was so new to it. He has been flying through 4a and so far, I'm really glad we went the Singapore route, even this late in the game. I will say that he has aways been pretty strong in math and never had any major stumbling blocks in TT, so that may be something to consider since you mentioned that your 2 are starting to have a hard time with it. Definitely let them take the placement test and maybe they could start out a half of a level lower -like mine did??? Hope that helps! :D
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/